From: "Kevin Carhart" <kevin_carhart@fastmail.fm>
To: "Adam Thompson" <arthompson1990@gmail.com>,
	"Karl Dahlke" <eklhad@comcast.net>
Cc: edbrowse-dev@edbrowse.org
Subject: Re: [edbrowse-dev] interwindow bleed
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 19:27:31 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi Adam

> As a question, what is the promise stuff they're lacking? It looked like
> they implemented this but I really don't know js enough to have an opinion.

It could be any and every ES6 feature.  Adoption is increasing as time goes by.  In July I worked on nasa.gov and got it working again.  Between July and now, they wrote in all kinds of ES6.  One example is a new use for the backtick symbol in place of quotation marks.  It's used in JS somewhat analogous to the use of backticks in bash etc.  So now nasa is broken again because of something you can't write a JS shim for.  (I've heard of transpiling to ES5, but I don't know how to do it or whether it's something we could do on the fly.)

Various sites are using 'let' a lot more.

We were working with dominos.com and they need postMessage.  We wrote a JS implementation of that one.

There's also the function bodies.  This one isn't ES6-related.  moz and v8 allow toString() of a function and return the source JS.  We think this is needed if we were to get ambitious and support paypal.com.  We spent a few weeks on it and solved several things but then ran into the buzzsaw of an obfuscated file they use which even has "traps".  And function bodies is part of what it's trying to detect.

It's too bad. duktape is terrific.  They don't not have the features, they're just someplace in the middle.  I think probably due to the massive amount of work it takes to incorporate them.

Kevin