From: Jon Sterling <j...@jonmsterling.com>
To: HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [HoTT] Different notions of equality; terminology
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 15:24:11 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 03:20 PM, Andrew Polonsky wrote:
> That may all be true.
>
> Yet, -- in this particular case -- it may actually be a good idea NOT
> to depart completely from the traditional, intuitive meaning of
> "logical".
>
> The point is that here we are talking about what is really the most
> elementary, the most canonical, the most ancient concept of equality.
> The adjective "typal" suggests that something new happened when we
> transitioned from FOL to MLTT.  But that change, whatever you call it,
> (higher-dimensionality?) -- it affected equality in the same way as
> all other formulae.
>
> So it is not a new concept.  It is the same concept.
>
> Regarding "judgmental" equality, this is a special case of
> definitional equality.  Some formulations of type theory have it,
> others don't.
>
> For example type theories implemented in the Coq and Agda proof
> assistants, they do not have judgmental equality.  In PTS formulations
> of type theory, definitional equality is not a judgment.

This is false, as far as I am aware. From what Peter Dybjer told me,
Agda is based on an extension of Martin-Löf's Logical Framework +
Monomorphic Theory of Sets (these are described in "Programming in
Martin-Löf's Type Theory"). Now, there's some differences between Agda's
type theory and MLLF+MTS, but both absolutely have judgmental equality.

I am not familiar enough with Coq's type theory to comment on it.

Kind regards,
Jon