* [HoTT] What is known and/or written about “Frobenius eliminators”?
@ 2018-07-12 15:15 Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine @ 2018-07-12 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com

Briefly: I’m looking for background on the “Frobenius version” of
elimination rules for inductive types.  I’m aware of a few pieces of work
mentioning this for identity types, and nothing at all for other inductive
types.  I’d be grateful to hear if anyone else can point me to anything
I’ve missed in the literature — even just to a reference that lays out the
Frobenius versions of the rules for anything beyond Id-types.  The
proximate motivation is just that I want to use these versions in a paper,
and it’d be very nice to have a reference rather than cluttering up the
paper by writing them all out in full…

In more detail: Here are two versions of the eliminator for identity types:

Γ, x,y:A, u:Id(x,y)  |– C(x,y,u) type
Γ, x:A |– d(x) : C(x,x,r(x)) type
Γ |— a, b : A
Γ |— p : Id(a,b)
——————————————
Γ |— J(A, (x,y,u)C, (x)d, a, b, p) : C(a,b,p)

Γ, x,y:A, u:Id(x,y), w:Δ(x,y,u) |– C(x,y,u,w) type
Γ, x:A, w:Δ(x,x,r(x)) |– d(x,w) : C(x,x,r(x),w) type
Γ |— a, b : A
Γ |— p : Id(a,b)
Γ |— c : Δ(a,b,p)
——————————————
Γ |— J(A, (x,y,u)Δ, (x,y,u,w)C, (x,w)d, a, b, p, c) : C(a,b,p,c)

(where Δ(x,y,u) represents a “context extension”, i.e. some finite sequence
of variables and types w_1 : B_1(x,y,u), w_2 : B_2(x,y,u,w_1), …)

I’ll call these the “simple version” and the “Frobenius version” of the
Id-elim rule; I’ll call Δ the “Frobenius context”.  The simple version is a
special case of the Frobenius one; conversely, in the presence of Pi-types,
the Frobenius version is derivable from the simple one.

Most presentations just give the simple version.  The first mention of the
Frobenius version I know of is in [Gambino, Garner 2008]; the connection
with categorical Frobenius conditions is made in [van den Berg, Garner
2008], and some further helpful explanatory pointers are given in [Gambino,
Sattler 2015].  It’s based on this that I use “Frobenius” to refer to these
versions; I’m open to suggestions of better terminology.  (All references
are linked below.)

The fact that the Frobenius version is strictly stronger is known in
folklore, but not written up anywhere I know of.  One way to show this is
to take any non right proper model category (e.g. the model structure for
quasi-categories on simplicial sets), and take the model of given by its
(TC,F) wfs; this will model the simple version of Id-types but not the
Frobenius version.

Overall, I think the consensus among everyone who’s thought about this
(starting from [Gambino, Garner 2008], as far as I know) is that if one’s
studying Id-types in the absence of Pi-types, then one needs to use the
Frobenius version.

One can also of course write Frobenius versions of the eliminators for
other inductive types — eg Sigma-types, W-types, …  However, I don’t know
anywhere that even mentions these versions!

I remember believing at some point that at least for Sigma-types, the
Frobenius version is in fact derivable from the simple version (without
assuming Pi-types or any other type formers), which would explain why
no-one’s bothered considering it… but if that’s the case, it’s eluding me
now.  On the other hand, I also can’t think of a countermodel showing the
Frobenius version is strictly stronger — wfs models won’t do for this,
since they have strong Sigma-types given by composition of fibrations.

So as far as I can see, if one’s studying Sigma-types in the absence of
Pi-types, one again might want the Frobenius version; and it seems likely
that the situation for other inductive types would be similar.

But I’m not sure, and I feel I may be overlooking or forgetting something
obvious.  What have others on the list thought about this?  Does anyone
have a reference discussing the Frobenius versions of inductive types other
than identity types, or at least giving the rules for them?

Best,
–Peter.

- Gambino, Garner, 2008, “The Identity Type Weak Factorisation System”,
https://arxiv.org/abs/0803.4349
- van den Berg, Garner, 2008, “Types are weak  ω-groupoids”,
https://arxiv.org/pdf/0812.0298.pdf
- Gambino, Sattler, 2015, “The Frobenius condition, right properness, and
uniform fibrations”, https://arxiv.org/pdf/1510.00669.pdf

* Re: [HoTT] What is known and/or written about “Frobenius eliminators”?
@ 2018-07-12 17:06 ` Valery Isaev
From: Valery Isaev @ 2018-07-12 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine; +Cc: HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter,

I've been thinking about such eliminators lately too. It seems that they
are derivable from ordinary eliminator for most type-theoretic
constructions as long as we have identity types and sigma types. I did not
write down proofs in full detail, but I sketched them for identity types,
sigma types, and coproducts and I think this also should be true for
pushouts. Now, when I say that we have identity types I mean a strong
version of Id:
Γ |– a : A
Γ, y:A, u:Id(a,y)  |– C(y,u) type
Γ |– d : C(a,a,r(a)) type
Γ |— b : A
Γ |— p : Id(a,b)
——————————————
Γ |— J(a, (y,u)C, d, b, p) : C(b,p)

We can prove all the usual constructions for identity types using this
version of J including transport and extensionality for sigma types. To
define the "Frobenius version" of this J, we construct a term t : (b,p) =
(a,r(a)) using extensionality for sigma. Then we transport c along t
from Δ(b,p) to Δ(a,r(a)), and substitute this in d. At this point, we have
a term d' of type C(a,r(a),t_*(c)). Then we use the fact that the type of
triples \Sigma (q : \Sigma (b : A) Id(a,b)) Id((b,p),q) is contractible
(this type is of the form \Sigma (x : A) Id(a,x) and we can prove that such
types are contractible using the strong version of J). Thus, we have a path
from ((a,r(a),t) to ((b,p),r((b,p))) and transporting d' along this path
gives us a term of type C(b,p,c).

Similar argument shows that the "Frobenius version" of sigma eliminator is
definable. We just prove that p = (\pi_1(p),\pi_2(p)) and then transport
terms back and forth along this path. The proof for coproducts is slightly
more difficult, but the idea is similar.

I constructed Frobenius versions of various eliminators in my recent
preprint https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.08038 (I call Frobenius eliminators
"local" and the usual ones "global"). I used there a non-standard version
of HoTT, but as I mentioned before I believe that it should be possible to
construct them in the ordinary HoTT (with sigma and Id types only).

I also want to mention that Frobenius eliminators are definable only when
our constructions are stable under substitution. If we do not assume that
the type former, the constructors, and the non-Frobenius eliminator of some
construction are stable under substitution, then we can interpret them in
any category in which the corresponding categorical constructions are not
necessarily stable under pullbacks, but this is not true for Frobenius
eliminators.

> Briefly: I’m looking for background on the “Frobenius version” of
> elimination rules for inductive types.  I’m aware of a few pieces of work
> mentioning this for identity types, and nothing at all for other inductive
> types.  I’d be grateful to hear if anyone else can point me to anything
> I’ve missed in the literature — even just to a reference that lays out the
> Frobenius versions of the rules for anything beyond Id-types.  The
> proximate motivation is just that I want to use these versions in a paper,
> and it’d be very nice to have a reference rather than cluttering up the
> paper by writing them all out in full…
>
> In more detail: Here are two versions of the eliminator for identity types:
>
> Γ, x,y:A, u:Id(x,y)  |– C(x,y,u) type
> Γ, x:A |– d(x) : C(x,x,r(x)) type
> Γ |— a, b : A
> Γ |— p : Id(a,b)
> ——————————————
> Γ |— J(A, (x,y,u)C, (x)d, a, b, p) : C(a,b,p)
>
> Γ, x,y:A, u:Id(x,y), w:Δ(x,y,u) |– C(x,y,u,w) type
> Γ, x:A, w:Δ(x,x,r(x)) |– d(x,w) : C(x,x,r(x),w) type
> Γ |— a, b : A
> Γ |— p : Id(a,b)
> Γ |— c : Δ(a,b,p)
> ——————————————
> Γ |— J(A, (x,y,u)Δ, (x,y,u,w)C, (x,w)d, a, b, p, c) : C(a,b,p,c)
>
> (where Δ(x,y,u) represents a “context extension”, i.e. some finite
> sequence of variables and types w_1 : B_1(x,y,u), w_2 : B_2(x,y,u,w_1), …)
>
> I’ll call these the “simple version” and the “Frobenius version” of the
> Id-elim rule; I’ll call Δ the “Frobenius context”.  The simple version is a
> special case of the Frobenius one; conversely, in the presence of Pi-types,
> the Frobenius version is derivable from the simple one.
>
> Most presentations just give the simple version.  The first mention of the
> Frobenius version I know of is in [Gambino, Garner 2008]; the connection
> with categorical Frobenius conditions is made in [van den Berg, Garner
> 2008], and some further helpful explanatory pointers are given in [Gambino,
> Sattler 2015].  It’s based on this that I use “Frobenius” to refer to these
> versions; I’m open to suggestions of better terminology.  (All references
> are linked below.)
>
> The fact that the Frobenius version is strictly stronger is known in
> folklore, but not written up anywhere I know of.  One way to show this is
> to take any non right proper model category (e.g. the model structure for
> quasi-categories on simplicial sets), and take the model of given by its
> (TC,F) wfs; this will model the simple version of Id-types but not the
> Frobenius version.
>
> Are you sure this is true? It seems that we can interpret the strong
version of J even in non right proper model categories. Then the argument I
gave above shows that the Frobenius version is also definable.

> Overall, I think the consensus among everyone who’s thought about this
> (starting from [Gambino, Garner 2008], as far as I know) is that if one’s
> studying Id-types in the absence of Pi-types, then one needs to use the
> Frobenius version.
>
> One can also of course write Frobenius versions of the eliminators for
> other inductive types — eg Sigma-types, W-types, …  However, I don’t know
> anywhere that even mentions these versions!
>
> I remember believing at some point that at least for Sigma-types, the
> Frobenius version is in fact derivable from the simple version (without
> assuming Pi-types or any other type formers), which would explain why
> no-one’s bothered considering it… but if that’s the case, it’s eluding me
> now.  On the other hand, I also can’t think of a countermodel showing the
> Frobenius version is strictly stronger — wfs models won’t do for this,
> since they have strong Sigma-types given by composition of fibrations.
>
> So as far as I can see, if one’s studying Sigma-types in the absence of
> Pi-types, one again might want the Frobenius version; and it seems likely
> that the situation for other inductive types would be similar.
>
> But I’m not sure, and I feel I may be overlooking or forgetting something
> obvious.  What have others on the list thought about this?  Does anyone
> have a reference discussing the Frobenius versions of inductive types other
> than identity types, or at least giving the rules for them?
>
> Best,
> –Peter.

> - Gambino, Garner, 2008, “The Identity Type Weak Factorisation System”,
> https://arxiv.org/abs/0803.4349
> - van den Berg, Garner, 2008, “Types are weak  ω-groupoids”,
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/0812.0298.pdf
> - Gambino, Sattler, 2015, “The Frobenius condition, right properness, and
> uniform fibrations”, https://arxiv.org/pdf/1510.00669.pdf
>
> --

* [HoTT] Re: What is known and/or written about “Frobenius eliminators”?
@ 2018-07-12 17:42 ` Matt Oliveri
From: Matt Oliveri @ 2018-07-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

This looks similar to the "left rule" version of inductive elimination,
where you eliminate a variable (not an arbitrary term), and the context
extension depending on it gets updated. Except the "Frobenious version"
allows an arbitrary term, so you say in what way part of the context
depends on it. (Your "c : Δ(a,b,p)".) Coq's "destruct" tactic sort of
implements this; it picks Δ and c for you by searching subexpressions in
the context. In general, "dependent pattern matching" seems to use the left
rules, and variants, rather than the "simple versions", where the context
never changes. Have you tried looking at the literature on dependent
pattern matching? I know this isn't a real answer. I don't know any papers
that I know have Frobenious versions. Also, it looks like your Δ is not
literally a context extension, but the corresponding dependent record type.

@ 2018-07-12 18:06 ` Thorsten Altenkirch
From: Thorsten Altenkirch @ 2018-07-12 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine, homotopytypetheory

Isn't this what is usually called recursion with parameters. E.g. in the simple typed case for natural numbers: the usual recursor can be written using only 1st order functions:

z : X
s : Nat -> X -> X
-----------------------
R_X(z,s) : N -> X

R(z,s) 0 == z
R(z,s) (suc m) == s m (R(z,s) m)

while recursion with a parameter is:

z : Y -> X
s : Nat -> Y -> X -> X
----------------------------
R'_X,Y(z,s) : Nat -> Y -> X

R'(z,s) 0 y == z y
R'(z,s) (suc m) y == s m y (R'(z,s) m y)

Using functions we can reduce R' to R

R'_X,Y(z,s) = R_(Y -> X)(z,\n f y.s n y (f y))

but without functions R' is stronger and it is what you need to have recursion in every slice.  A simple example is addition over the 1st argument, which with functions we can write as

R_Nat->Nat (\n . n) (\ n fn m . suc (fn m))

but you can use R' without function types

R'_Nat,Nat (\ n . n) (\ n m x . suc m)

Hence in the absence of Pi-types you need to use the "localized" version of the recursor. I think in the special case of + this gives you distributivity over x even without cartesian closure.
If we don't assume products we need to replace Y by a context.

I think I have seen the case for Id in Thomas Streicher's habilitation but I am not sure.

Thorsten

From: <homotopytypetheory@googlegroups.com<mailto:homotopytypetheory@googlegroups.com>> on behalf of Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine <p.l.lumsdaine@gmail.com<mailto:p.l.lumsdaine@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, 12 July 2018 at 16:15
To: "homotopytypetheory@googlegroups.com<mailto:homotopytypetheory@googlegroups.com>" <homotopytypetheory@googlegroups.com<mailto:homotopytypetheory@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: [HoTT] What is known and/or written about “Frobenius eliminators”?

[...]

attachment.

where permitted by law.

* Re: [HoTT] What is known and/or written about “Frobenius eliminators”?
@ 2018-07-12 18:23   ` Valery Isaev
From: Valery Isaev @ 2018-07-12 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Altenkirch; +Cc: homotopytypetheory

Such version corresponds simply to the fact that the eliminator is defined
in every context (Γ in Peter's original post). Without this context
eliminators are undeniably too weak. The point of Frobenius eliminators is
that Y in your notation can depend on the eliminated parameter. I don't
think that it is possible to define Frobenius for recursive datatypes.

Regards,
Valery Isaev

@ 2018-07-13 10:38   ` Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
From: Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine @ 2018-07-13 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: valery.isaev; +Cc: HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM Valery Isaev <valery.isaev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I've been thinking about such eliminators lately too. It seems that they
> are derivable from ordinary eliminator for most type-theoretic
> constructions as long as we have identity types and sigma types.

Thankyou — very nice observation, and (at least to me) quite surprising!

> I mean a strong version of Id:

Side note: this is I think more widely known as the Paulin-Mohring or
one-sided eliminator for Id-types; the HoTT book calls it based
path-induction.

The fact that the Frobenius version is strictly stronger is known in
>> folklore, but not written up anywhere I know of.  One way to show this is
>> to take any non right proper model category (e.g. the model structure for
>> quasi-categories on simplicial sets), and take the model of given by its
>> (TC,F) wfs; this will model the simple version of Id-types but not the
>> Frobenius version.
>>
>> Are you sure this is true? It seems that we can interpret the strong
> version of J even in non right proper model categories. Then the argument I
> gave above shows that the Frobenius version is also definable.

Ah, yes — there was a mistake in the argument I had in mind.  In that case,
do we really know for sure that the Frobenius versions are really strictly
stronger?

–p.

* Re: [HoTT] What is known and/or written about “Frobenius eliminators”?
@ 2018-07-13 11:05     ` Valery Isaev
From: Valery Isaev @ 2018-07-13 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine; +Cc: HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM Valery Isaev <valery.isaev@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I've been thinking about such eliminators lately too. It seems that they
>> are derivable from ordinary eliminator for most type-theoretic
>> constructions as long as we have identity types and sigma types.
>>

> Thankyou — very nice observation, and (at least to me) quite surprising!

I was surprised too. The case of coproducts is especially unexpected.

>> I mean a strong version of Id:
>>

> Side note: this is I think more widely known as the Paulin-Mohring or
> one-sided eliminator for Id-types; the HoTT book calls it based
> path-induction.
>
> The fact that the Frobenius version is strictly stronger is known in
>>> folklore, but not written up anywhere I know of.  One way to show this is
>>> to take any non right proper model category (e.g. the model structure for
>>> quasi-categories on simplicial sets), and take the model of given by its
>>> (TC,F) wfs; this will model the simple version of Id-types but not the
>>> Frobenius version.
>>>
>>> Are you sure this is true? It seems that we can interpret the strong
>> version of J even in non right proper model categories. Then the argument I
>> gave above shows that the Frobenius version is also definable.
>>

> Ah, yes — there was a mistake in the argument I had in mind.  In that
> case, do we really know for sure that the Frobenius versions are really
> strictly stronger?
>
> I don't know how to prove this, but it seems that we can't even define
transport without Frobenius J. Also, if we do have transport and we know
that types of the form \Sigma (x : A) Id(a,x) are contractible, then the
"one-sided J" is definable, so if we want to prove that the Frobenius
version does not follows from the non-Frobenius, we need to find a model
where either transport is not definable or \Sigma (x : A) Id(a,x) is not
contractible.

@ 2020-03-23  9:54       ` Ambrus Kaposi
From: Ambrus Kaposi @ 2020-03-23  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, I just wanted to document that
Frobenius J can be derived from Paulin-Mohring J without Pi, Sigma or
universes:
https://github.com/akaposi/hiit-signatures/blob/master/formalization/FrobeniusJDeriv.agda
This was observed by Rafael Bocquet and András Kovács in October 2019, but
maybe other people have known about this.

We mention this briefly in our paper on HIIT signatures where
Paulin-Mohring J can be used on previous equality constructors but we don't
have Pi, Sigma or (usual) universes: https://lmcs.episciences.org/6100

Cheers,
Ambrus

2018. július 13., péntek 13:05:47 UTC+2 időpontban Valery Isaev a

@ 2020-05-16  8:34         ` Rafaël Bocquet
From: Rafaël Bocquet @ 2020-05-16  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HomotopyTypeTheory