Well that's true. For some reason, I was thinking equality would still be an ordinary type, but I guess that would be silly. So what do you require, for HITs to "make sense", with equality being a static prop family? That they can provide finite colimits? Don't they do this, analogously to homotopy colimits in HoTT? On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 11:25:22 AM UTC-5, Michael Shulman wrote: > > HITs involve equality, so if equality is a static prop, then it is > involved. > > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Matt Oliveri > wrote: > > Oh right. Static propositions alone doesn't seem to guarantee a > quasitopos > > either. > > > > I thought HITs make sense with static props. After all, the type of > > propositions isn't even involved, formally. > > > > On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 5:00:51 AM UTC-5, Michael Shulman wrote: > >> > >> That seems about right to me, except that I don't know whether a > >> static universe of props without unique choice *actually* gives a > >> quasitopos. It gives you a class of subobjects that have a classifer, > >> which looks kind of like a quasitopos, but can we prove that they are > >> actually the strong/regular monos as in a quasitopos? And a > >> quasitopos also has finite colimits; do HITs make sense with a static > >> Prop? > >> > >> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:41 PM, Matt Oliveri > wrote: > >> > Hello. I'd like to see if I have the situation straight: > >> > > >> > For presenting a topos as a type system, there are expected to be (at > >> > least) > >> > two styles: having a type of "static" propositions, or using hprops. > >> > > >> > With hprops, you can prove unique choice, so it's always topos-like > >> > (pretopos?). > >> > > >> > With static props, you can't prove unique choice, but it may be > >> > consistent > >> > as an additional primitive, or you can ensure in some other way that > you > >> > have a subobject classifier. > >> > > >> > If you don't necessarily have unique choice or equivalent, you're > >> > dealing > >> > with a quasitopos, which is a more general thing. > >> > > >> > With static props and unique choice, subsingletons generally aren't > >> > already > >> > propositions, but they all correspond to a proposition stating that > the > >> > subsingleton is inhabited. Unique choice obtains the element of a > >> > subsingleton known to be inhabited. > >> > > >> > The usual way to present a topos as a type system is with a > >> > non-dependent > >> > type system like IHOL. This will not be able to express hprops, so > >> > static > >> > props is the way. Proofs will not be objects, so proof-irrelevance > >> > doesn't > >> > come up. > >> > > >> > The static props approach can also be used in a dependent type > system, > >> > along > >> > with unique choice or equivalent. (To say nothing of whether that's a > >> > natural kind of system.) > >> > > >> > In a dependent type system, a type of static props may or may not be > a > >> > universe. > >> > > >> > If it's not, proofs still aren't objects and proof-irrelevance still > >> > doesn't > >> > come up. > >> > > >> > But if it is, you should at least have typal proof-irrelevance. (That > >> > is, > >> > stated using equality types.) > >> > > >> > In that case, with equality reflection, you automatically get > judgmental > >> > proof-irrelevance. This does not necessarily mean that proofs are > >> > computationally irrelevant. With unique choice, they cannot be, or > else > >> > you > >> > lose canonicity. > >> > > >> > All OK? >