Dan, this is one instance of my "general universal property of the propositional truncation", arXiv:1411.2682. In that paper I show that, if you fix a number n, then for a type Y of h-level n, the function type ||X|| -> Y is equivalent to the Sigma-type with the following components: (1) a function X -> Y (2) the condition that (1) is weakly constant (3) a coherence condition for (2) (4) a coherence condition for (3) ... (n) a coherence condition for (n-1) This can be presented as a natural transformation between semi-simplicial types. What you have formalized is the case n=3 (one direction). (In my presentation, I don't use the component "c x x = idpath (f x)" because it can be inferred, and if you go higher than 3, this component would make additional coherence conditions necessary.) Nicolai On 03/04/17 01:35, Daniel R. Grayson wrote: > Here's a fact related to the current discussion, which I have > formalized today. I would appreciate knowing > whether it's already known. It gives a criterion for factoring > through the propositional truncation > when the target is of h-level 3. > > Definition squash_to_HLevel_3 {X : UU} {Y : HLevel 3} > (f : X -> Y) (c : ∏ x x', f x = f x') : > (∏ x, c x x = idpath (f x)) -> > (∏ x x' x'', c x x'' = c x x' @ c x' x'') -> > ∥ X ∥ -> Y. > > You may find it in WellOrderedSets.v > on > one of my branches. > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "Homotopy Type Theory" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com > . > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.