On Thursday, 31 May 2018 20:02:51 UTC+1, Alexander Kurz wrote: > > > > On 31 May 2018, at 12:05, Michael Shulman > wrote: > > > > It sounds like Thorsten and are both starting to repeat ourselves, so > > we should probably spare the patience of everyone else on the list > > pretty soon. I'll just make my own hopefully-final point by saying > > that if "properties of the typed algebraic syntax" can imply that the > > untyped stuff we write on the page has a *unique* typed denotation, > > independent of a particular typechecking algorithm, as mentioned in my > > last email, then I'll (probably) be satisfied. > > I am interested in this question of translating the untyped stuff we write > on the page into type theory. > > To give a concrete example of what I am thinking of as untyped, but > nevertheless conceptual and structural mathematics, I would point at Tom > Leinster’s elegant description of the solution to the problem of Buffon’s > needle, see the first paragraphs of the section “What is category theory?” > at > https://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2010/03/a_perspective_on_higher_catego.html > > I call this argument type free because I see no obvious or canonical way > to make the types precise enough in order to implement the proof in, say, > Agda. Even if this can be done, it is still important that mathematicians > can discuss this argument first without having to make the types precise. > So there will always be mathematics outside of type theory. > I don't understand why you call this argument untyped. Do you feel that a formalization in set theory, which is untyped, would be easier than a formalization in type theory? How is untypedness helping with this argument? Martin