From: escardo.martin@gmail.com
To: Homotopy Type Theory <HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] Injective types
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 13:46:22 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 17:55:50 UTC+1, Michael Shulman wrote

> Yes, this is a good point in favor of Agda-style non-cumulative
> Russell universes over Coq-style cumulative Russell universes.
>
> But isn't there a middle ground with Tarski universes?

It would be nice to have such a middle ground, particularly because
formulating universe assumptions in each single definition and theorem is
unfamiliar in mathematical practice, and so "typical ambiguity" (pretending
there is only one universe) is potentially a good idea for many (or even
most) examples. But not in the paper I advertised in this thread.

Here I post an example when Giraud did precisely that, namely to assume two
arbitrary universes U and V, explaining why this is needed in that level of
generality after the formulation of a theorem and its proof, given to me by
Thierry Coquand:

  https://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe/giraud-universes.pdf (photo of one page of
a book).

The book is “Cohmologie non abelienne” (1971,
https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783540053071).

Suppose we
> have explicit lifting operators Lift : U_i -> U_{i+1}, so that as in
> Agda we have unique small polymorphic level assignments.  But then
> suppose we have *definitional* equalities El(Lift(A)) == El(A).  Then
> on the (rare) occasions when we do have to explicitly lift types from
> one universe to another,

I can confirm from a 26k line Agda development (with comments and repeated
blank lines removed in this counting of the number of lines) that not once
did I need to embed a universe into a larger universe, except when I wanted
to state the theorem that any universe is a retract of any larger universe
if one assumes the propositional resizing axiom (any proposition in a
universe U has an equivalent copy in any universe V). So I would say that
such situations are *extremely rare* in practice.

> we would get stronger cumulativity behavior.
> (And I could imagine a proof assistant that implements this and sugars
> away the El to look like Russell universes to the user.)

At the moment we can choose cumulativity (Coq) or non-cumulativity (Agda),
and there is no system that combines the virtues of Coq and Agda regarding
universe handling. (And I fear that such a system would potentially
multiply the vices of both. :-) )

M.