From: "Jon Sterling" <j...@jonmsterling.com>
To: "'Martin Escardo' via Homotopy Type Theory"
	<HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] Identity versus equality
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 23:09:46 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear André,

To answer your question about what is the abstract theory of term reduction in type theory, one very beautiful option is rewriting theory, the study of abstract rewriting systems; this is perhaps the most venerable and mathematically deep tool to study term reduction, but it does not readily support many of the kinds of "reductions" that occur in dependent type theory, especially the more exotic cubical type theories.

For this and other reasons, some of us (including Steve and myself and many others) have been lately studying computation in these type theories using more abstract tools like Artin gluing --- the disadvantage of this approach is the gluing has little to say about the efficiency or algorithmic aspects of computation in type theory, but it is enough to prove that existence proofs do carry algorithms to compute numerals.

Simultaneously, we are working on improving the algorithmic / practical aspects of cubical type theory so that in the future we may be able to actually execute the algorithm that corresponds to Brunerie's proof. My collaborators and I are currently experimentally programming a new reduction algorithm for cubical type theory that I designed this fall; I do not know whether it will help significantly, but we will see.

Best,
Jon