Hi Thorsten and Thomas, It still looks to me like you're talking about different things and having a misunderstanding. By "propositional extensionality", Thorsten seems to mean the special case of univalence that applies to hprops. (Which he's simply calling propositions.) But it sounds like Thomas is counting "propositional extensionality" as a separate principle from univalence, for a type of static props. I think the system Thorsten has in mind presents a (pre)topos as a univalent type system, where hprops are used *instead of* a type of static props. But maybe not, and I'm misunderstanding. On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 6:41:14 AM UTC-5, Thomas Streicher wrote: > > Hi Thorsten, > > > we have already established that my argument was incorrect (for the > > reasons you state) and I was misinformed about the behaviour of > > Lean. > > I know, I just wanted to spot where the problem precisely is. > > > >Another gap in Thorsten's argument is the following. Though Single(a) > and > > >Single(a') are isomorphic in order to conclude that they are > propositionally > > >equal they would have to be elements of a univalent universe BUT I > don't see > > >where such a universe should come from in the general topos case! > > > I don???t understand this point. In a type theoretic implementation of a > topos Single(a) and Single(a???) would be propositionally equal due to > propositional extensionality. The only additional assumption I need to make > is that the universe of proposition is strict, e.g. we have that El(A -> B) > is definitionally equal to EL(A) -> El(B). This seems to be quite natural > from the point of type theory where universes are usually strict and > moreover this is true in any univalent category giving rise to a topos. > > Well, Single(a) and Single(a') were propsitionally equal if they were > elements of a univalent universe U but where should this come from if > you start from an elementary topos in a univalent metatheory. > > Thomas >