Hi Bas, Perhaps, to have this in context, we could add it to e.g. the HoTT web page and/or the nlab. Do you know precise dates for these manuscripts? I am looking forward to seeing you in Bonn. Also, it would be nice to have Mike Shulman's questions answered or at least addressed. Martin On Friday, 4 May 2018 23:57:09 UTC+2, Bas Spitters wrote: > > Hi Martin, > > These were discussed publically at some point. I've got them at around > 2000. > We never put them on the web, because Bishop had decided not to publish > them. > Since you are doing this now, it might be good to at least add a note > to that respect, so that people can put them in context. > > See you in Bonn! > > Bas > > On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 11:01 PM, Martín Hötzel Escardó > > wrote: > > This week I learned two interesting things that seem to be kept as a > guarded > > secret: > > > > (1) Errett Bishop reinvented type theory. > > (2) He also explained how to compile it to Algol. > > > > I am adding a link to these two manuscripts. A nice quote from the > second > > paper (Algol.pdf) is this, in my opinion, because it foresees things > such as > > Agda, Coq, NuPrl, ... > > > > "The possibility of such a compilation demonstrates the existence of a > new > > type of programming language, one that contains theorems, proofs, > > quantifications, and implications, in addition to the more conventional > > facilities for specifying algorithms" > > > > This was in the late 1960's (or correct me). Here is a link to both > > manuscripts: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe/Bishop/ > > > > Greetings from Bonn. > > Martin > >