From: Ben Sherman <she...@csail.mit.edu>
To: Andrej Bauer <andrej...@andrej.com>
Cc: "andré hirschowitz" <"a..."@unice.fr>,
	"HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com" <"homotopyt..."@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] How to make software without money
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 09:56:25 -0400	[thread overview]

I feel that I should mention some recent developments that are relevant to this discussion, at least with respect to Coq.

Firstly, Paul Steckler recently joined MIT. He works full-time, as an engineer, towards improving Coq as a software system for its users (see the job posting here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/fp-syd/wiff-ks5yVw). I don't know exactly where the funding for his position comes from.

Secondly, Yves Bertot announced earlier this week at the DeepSpec workshop in Princeton (http://deepspec.org/events/) the creation of the Coq Consortium, which will be an organization dedicated to the improvement of Coq as a software system for its users. Industrial and academic institutions can pay an annual fee to the Coq Consortium, which will serve to fund full-time engineers to work on improving the Coq system, and these engineers will prioritize the goals of those who fund them. I think the details are still being worked out. (Again, I am not knowledgable about what funding sources academic institutions can use to pay into the Consortium.)

The goal is that with the Coq Consortium, INRIA researchers will be freed to focus on research-relevant aspects of Coq, and Coq users will be able to use a software system whose quality can only be made possible by the attention of full-time engineers. I am personally hopeful that this strategy will work favorably for all those involved!