On Friday, 18 May 2018 17:41:00 UTC+2, Michael Shulman wrote: > > I certainly knew that univalence is equivalent to > equivalence-induction *with* computation rule, which I think is what > is in Egbert's notes. But I don't think I knew that you can do > without the computation rule. Yes, this is the difference - or are you doing the same, Egbert? Also, I should have said that I needed to adapt Peter's argument slightly - unfortunately, I couldn't use his result off-the-shelf. The main difference is that Peter works with a global identity system on all types (of a universe), whereas I work with an identity system on a single type, namely a universe. As a result, I can't define the type of left-cancellable maps using the notion of equality given by the identity system. Instead, I define it using the native (Martin-Loef) identity type, and with this little modification, Peter's argument goes through for the situation considered here. Can you give a link to the "some years > ago" discussion claiming it strictly weaker? > I will try to dig it up tomorrow. Martin > > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 6:04 AM, Egbert Rijke > wrote: > > Hi Martin, > > > > I think it was known. I taught this in my intro to HoTT class this > semester: > > > > http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/erijke/hott/univalence.pdf > > > > Best wishes, > > Egbert > > > > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 2:36 AM, Martín Hötzel Escardó > > > wrote: > >> > >> Equivalence induction says that in order to prove something for all > >> equivalences, it is enough to prove it for all identity equivalences > for all > >> types. > >> > >> This follows from univalence. But also, conversely, univalence follows > >> from it: > >> > >> http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe/agda-new/UF-Univalence.html#JEq > >> > >> Is this known? Some years ago it was claimed in this list that > equivalence > >> induction would be strictly weaker than univalence. > >> > >> To prove the above, I apply a technique I learned from Peter Lumsdaine, > >> that given an abstract identity system (Id, refl , J) with no given > >> "computation rule" for J, produces another identity system (Id, refl , > J' , > >> J'-comp) with > >> a "propositional computation rule" J'-comp for J'. > >> > >> http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe/agda-new/Lumsdaine.html > >> > >> Martin > >> > >> -- > >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups > >> "Homotopy Type Theory" group. > >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an > >> email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com . > > >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > > > > > > > -- > > egbertrijke.com > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups > > "Homotopy Type Theory" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an > > email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com . > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >