I had not looked at this from this angle so far. If you want to avoid having to come up and justify a notion of equivalence, you could, alternatively to ua + uabeta, take the Orton-Pitts "Axioms for univalence" www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~amp12/papers/axiu/axiu.pdf Maybe these are even easier to justify than ua + uabeta! Nicolai On 10/08/17 21:57, Michael Shulman wrote: > Thinking about the recently re-mentioned characterization of > univalence in terms of a map > Equiv A B -> (A = B) > that is only assumed to be a section of the canonical map in the other > direction, it occurred to me that this gives a way to state the > univalence axiom without first needing any "coherent" notion of > equivalence. For at least if we have funext to start with, then > equalities in Equiv A B are (for any coherent definition of Equiv A B) > equivalent to equalities in A -> B, so we can state the retraction > property in terms of those. > > More precisely, let > coe : (A = B) -> A -> B > be coercion along an equality, and let > QInv A B := Sigma(f:A->B) Sigma(g:B->A) ( (Pi(x:A) g(f(x)) = x) > \times (Pi(y:B) f(g(y))=y) ) > be the type of quasi-invertible functions (incoherent equivalences). > We know that it is inconsistent to ask that the map (A = B) -> QInv A > B induced by coe is quasi-invertible. But suppose we instead ask for > just > ua : QInv A B -> (A = B) > and > uabeta : Pi((f,g,a,b) : QInv A B) Pi(a:A), coe (ua (f,g,a,b)) a = f(a) > If full univalence holds, then such functions certainly exist, since > any quasi-inverse can be improved to a coherent equivalence. But > conversely, if we assume funext to start with, then the full > univalence axiom can be proven from this ua and uabeta. (I just > formalized this in Coq to be sure.) > > Maybe other people have already observed this, but I don't think I > noticed it before. It means that we don't need to invent or motivate > a coherent notion of equivalence before stating (or, in cubical type > theory or a semantic model, proving) univalence. Instead we can state > univalence in this way, and then (having already motivated funext, > which is much easier, and also has a "weak improves to strong" > theorem) motivate the search for a "good" definition of Equiv A B as > "can we define more explicitly a type that is equivalent to A = B"? > > Mike >