From: "Martín Hötzel Escardó" <"m.es..."@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: Michael Shulman <shu...@sandiego.edu>
Cc: "HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com" <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] What is UF, what is HoTT and what is a univalent type theory?
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 11:14:00 +0100	[thread overview]

Many thanks, Mike, for your reply. I am prepared to agree with all your
points, in particular:

(1) You use geometric logic to explain the gap between topology and
intuitionistic logic in a very nice and precise way. In particular, you
said "the rules of intuitionistic logic do not encompass a definition of
topological space (though one might argue that the rules of *geometric*
logic do)". Nice way to put it.

(2) You make the point that, since the presence of identity types makes
types into infty-groupoids, we get (an incarnation of) homotopy theory.
So, in this sense, yes, we have a much more precise match.

(But, to play devil's advocate, we do have a precise definition of
geometry logic to match up with intuitionistic logic, but are you
offering precise definitions of the things to be matched up in (2)?
(Existing or to be developed.))

You also make a point that HoTT is not tied to a particular type theory,
like Vladimir says UF is not tied to a particular type theory. I agree
with this, and I am sorry if in previous messages I may have conveyed
the opposite view.

Now, for the sake of discussion, suppose a particular incarnation of
HoTT like in the book, based on MLTT. I wonder what you think about the
question of when MLTT ends and HoTT begins. For instance, much of
HoTT/UF works without anything added to MLTT, not even function
extensionality, like seeing that types are infty-groupoids, the
definition of n-type, the definition of equivalence and more. Is HoTT a
way to understand (the identity types of) MLTT? (Which, in this case,
is, as Vladimir said, not the originally intended one.)

Best,
Martin

--
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe