* [HoTT] HoTT with extensional equality
@ 2020-01-07 19:59 Kristina Sojakova
From: Kristina Sojakova @ 2020-01-07 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

Dear all,

I have been increasingly running into situations where I wished I had an
extensional equality type with a  reflection rule in HoTT, in addition
to the intensional one to which univalence pertains. I know that type
systems with two equalities have been studied in the HoTT community
(e.g., VV's HTS), but last time I discussed this with people it seemed
the situation was not yet well-understood. So my question is, what
exactly goes wrong if we endow HoTT with an extensional type?

Thank you,

Kristina

* Re: [HoTT] HoTT with extensional equality
@ 2020-01-07 22:03 ` Rafaël Bocquet
From: Rafaël Bocquet @ 2020-01-07 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristina Sojakova, Homotopy Type Theory

Hello,

I think that the paper "Two-Level Type Theory and Applications"
(https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.03307), whose last version has been
submitted on arXiv last month, answers these questions. One of the
intended models of 2LTT is the presheaf category Ĉ over any model C of
HoTT, and this presheaf model is conservative over C, essentially
because the Yoneda embedding is fully faithful. This means that we can
always work in 2LTT instead of HoTT.

Rafaël

@ 2020-01-07 22:11   ` Kristina Sojakova
       [not found]     ` <CALCpNBoWKXbQgdJ2Pqq_G7J_0D48OVGUeQoBnOfDHzC__GWkHA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Kristina Sojakova @ 2020-01-07 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafaël Bocquet, Homotopy Type Theory

Hello Rafael,

Thank you for the reference. I browsed the paper; it seems to me that
the theory does not appear to support identity reflection. I am looking
for a truly extensional form of equality (in addition to the usual one),
where equal terms are syntactically identified.

Kristina

@ 2020-01-07 22:18     ` Rafaël Bocquet
       [not found]     ` <CALCpNBoWKXbQgdJ2Pqq_G7J_0D48OVGUeQoBnOfDHzC__GWkHA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Rafaël Bocquet @ 2020-01-07 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristina Sojakova, Homotopy Type Theory

The intended presheaf model supports equality reflection. Martin
Hofmann's conservativity theorem also implies that most type theories
with UIP can conservatively be extended with equality reflection.

@ 2020-01-07 23:26       ` Kristina Sojakova
From: Kristina Sojakova @ 2020-01-07 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Sattler, Homotopy Type Theory