This is a horrible news. In addition to being a mathematician of genius Vladimir had a genuine interest to the history and philosophy of his discipline; I owe Vladimir hours of extremely tensed discussions on Euclid (Vladimir read both the Elements and the Proclus' Commentary very carefully), Grassmann (whose writings he studied perhaps more than any other historical source). Our last short exchange in LQ in Stockholm was on Aristotle: Vladimir told me that he had big plans of studying the history of logic. Vladimir had a fantastic capacity of understanding another person's ideas immediately following only some hints - or at least this is my personal experience with Vladimir. We were not close friends but all our meetings and talks were always very friendly; in 2015 he was my extremely attentive host in IAS. I lost an important person in my life with Vladimir's unexpected death. Good buy Vladimir. Andrei On Sunday, 1 October 2017 08:25:36 UTC+4, Daniel R. Grayson wrote: > > Dear Colleagues, > > The following message from the director of the Institute for Advanced > Study in Princeton announces > sad news: > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 17:38:57 -0400 (EDT) > From: Robbert Dijkgraaf > Subject: Sad news > > Dear Colleagues, > > It is with a heavy heart that I write to share some very sad news. Our > dear colleague and friend, Vladimir Voevodsky, Professor in the School of > Mathematics, passed away unexpectedly this morning. > > Vladimir was a truly extraordinary mathematician and integral part of our > community. His death is a tremendous loss for the Institute and for the > world. We will all miss him dearly and extend our deepest condolences to > Vladimir’s family and his many colleagues and collaborators around the > world. > > We will soon be sharing more information about a gathering to celebrate > Vladimir’s life and legacy. > > Robbert >