Maybe there are more ways to formulate initiality than anyone realized. On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 12:23:37 PM UTC-4, Michael Shulman wrote: > > To my understanding, there are two different essentially-algebraic > theories involved: type theory (or more precisely, its derivations) is > essentially by its definition the initial object in one of them, but > the one we're interested in (the appropriate sort of category) is a > different theory with different operations. For instance, in a > category we have composition as a basic operation, but in type theory > composition is admissible rather than primitive. So there is always > something to prove in relating the two, even when we know that both > are essentially-algebraic. > > But my main point was that the essentially-algebraic theory to which > the syntax belongs consists of derivations rather than terms, so it > can be essentially-algebraic even if terms don't have unique types. > > On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Steve Awodey > wrote: > > > > On Oct 13, 2017, at 11:50 AM, Michael Shulman > wrote: > > > > On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Steve Awodey > wrote: > > > > in order to have an (essentially) algebraic notion of type theory, which > > will then automatically have initial algebras, etc., one should have the > > typing of terms be an operation, so that every term has a unique type. > In > > particular, your (R1) violates this. Cumulativity is a practical > convenience > > that can be added to the system by some syntactic conventions, but the > real > > system should have unique typing of terms. >