* [HoTT] Identity types of types, and univalence for the entire type theory
@ 2022-10-08 11:06 Madeleine Birchfield
From: Madeleine Birchfield @ 2022-10-08 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

I've had an idea that's been bouncing around in my head for a few days, and
I'd thought I'd share it with the rest of the community to see if it it
makes sense or if there are any flaws in my thought process.

We work in Martin-Löf type theory with a separate judgment 'A type' for
types, as well as weakly Tarski universes consisting of a type U and a type
family El. The latter means that the type reflection of the internal types
is only equivalent to the corresponding type outside the universe: for
example, the type reflection of the internal type of natural numbers N_U :
U is only equivalent to the type N, El(N_U) ≅ N, rather than definitionally
equal to N. In weakly Tarski universes, we define a type A to be U-small if
there exists a term A_U : U with an equivalence small(A, A_U):El(A_U) ≅ A.

The univalence axiom on weakly Tarski universes than implies that the
identity type A =_U B is U-small for all A:U and B:U. This in turn implies
that in any weakly Tarski universe, it is consistent that there is a
function ='_U:(U × U) -> U and an equivalence small(A ='_U B):T(A ='_U B) ≅
(A =_U B) for all A:U and B:U. This means that the univalence axiom could
be internalized inside of the the universe U itself as ua:T((A ='_U B) ≅_U
(A ≅_U B)), and type reflection implies that the type T((A ='_U B) ≅_U (A
≅_U B)) ≅ (A =_U B ≅ T(A ≅_U B)) is pointed for all A:U and B:U.

On the level of the type theory itself, one should thus be able to add
another type former to the entirety of the type theory: the identity types
of types A = B, with the following rules:

   - The formation rule says that given a judgment 'A type' in context
   Gamma and a judgment 'B type' in context Gamma, one could form the
   conclusion 'A = B type' in context Gamma.
   - The introduction rule says that given a judgment 'A type' in context
   Gamma, one could form the conclusion 'refl_A:A = A' in context Gamma.
   - The elimination rule says that given a judgment 'A type' in context
   Gamma, a judgment 'B type' in context Gamma, a judgment 'C(p) type' in the
   context 'Gamma, p : A = B', and a judgment 't:C(refl_A)' in the context
   'Gamma', one could form the conclusion 'J(t, p): C(p)' in the context
   'Gamma'
   - The computation rule says that given a judgment 'A type' in context
   Gamma, a judgment 'B type' in context Gamma, a judgment 'C(p) type' in the
   context 'Gamma, p : A = B', and a judgment 't:C(refl_A)' in the context
   'Gamma', one could form the conclusion 'J(t, refl_A) ≡ t'' in the context
   'Gamma'.

The type theory has two notions of propositional equality which all have an
inductive definition, one for the identity types of terms of a type (a =_A
b for a:A and b:A), and a second for the identity types of types (A = B for
A type and B type).

Provided all of the above is correct, this allows us to define univalence
in the entire type theory without using universes at all. Given types A and
B, one could inductively define the function idtoequiv_{A, B}:(A = B) -> (A
≅ B) by idtoequiv_{A, A}(refl_A) := id_A. The univalence axiom then says
that one could form the term ua_{A, B}:isEquiv(idtoequiv_{A, B})) for
whatever definition of isEquiv is used.

In addition, since there are two identity types, there are now two notions
of UIP and axiom K: one for the identity types of terms and one for the
identity types of types:

   - UIP for terms is the rule that given the judgments 'A type', 'a:A',
   'b:A', 'p:a =_A b', 'q:a =_A b' all in context Gamma, one could form the
   conclusion 'uip(A, a, b, p, q):p =_{a =_A b} q'
   - UIP for types is the rule that given the judgments 'A type', 'B type',
   'p:A = B', 'q:A = B' all in context Gamma, one could form the conclusion
   'uip(A, B, p, q):p =_{A = B} q'
   - axiom K for terms is the rule that given the judgments 'A type',
   'a:A', 'p:a =_A a' all in context Gamma, one could form the conclusion
   'uip(A, a, p):p =_{a =_A a} refl_A(a)'
   - axiom K for types is the rule that given the judgments 'A type', 'p:A
   = A' all in context Gamma, one could form the conclusion 'uip(A, p):p =_{A
   = A} refl_A'

Assuming univalence for the type theory, UIP or axiom K for the identity
types of terms implies that every type is a set as usual, but does not
necessarily imply UIP or axiom K for the identity types of types. But UIP
or axiom K for the identity types of types implies that every type is a
proposition and thus a set, and thus implies UIP and axiom K for the
identity types of types. However, both sets of axioms of UIP and axiom K
are still inconsistent with the existence of a univalent Tarski universe in
the type theory, even without univalence for the entire type theory.

Madeleine Birchfield

* Re: [HoTT] Identity types of types, and univalence for the entire type theory
@ 2022-10-08 23:41 ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2022-10-08 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madeleine Birchfield; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory