* [HoTT] A question about the problem with regularity in CCHM cubical type theory
@ 2019-09-13  6:10 Jasper Hugunin
From: Jasper Hugunin @ 2019-09-13  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HomotopyTypeTheory

Hello all,

I've been trying to understand better why composition for the universe does
not satisfy regularity.
Since comp^i [ phi |-> E ] A is defined as (roughly) Glue [ phi |-> equiv^i
E ] A, I would expect regularity to follow from two parts:
1. That Glue [ phi |-> equivRefl A ] A reduces to A (a sort of regularity
condition for the Glue type constructor itself)
2. That equiv^i (refl A) reduces to equivRefl A
I'm curious as to which (or both) of these parts was the issue, or if
regularity for the universe was supposed to follow from a different
argument.

Context:
I've been studying and using CCHM cubical type theory recently, and often
finding myself wishing that J computed strictly.
If I understand correctly, early implementations of ctt did have strict J
for Path types, and this was justified by a "regularity" condition on the
composition operation, but as discussed in this thread on the HoTT mailing
list
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/homotopytypetheory/oXQe5u_Mmtk/3HEDk5g5uq4J>,
the definition of composition for the universe was found to not satisfy
regularity.
I don't remember seeing the regularity condition defined anywhere, but my
understanding is that it requires that composition in a degenerate line of
types, with the system of constraints giving the sides of the box also
degenerate in that direction, reduces to just the bottom of the box. This
seems to be closed under the usual type formers, plus Glue, but not the
universe with computation defined as in the CCHM paper
<http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~coquand/cubicaltt.pdf> (for trivial reasons
and non-trivial reasons; it gets stuck at the start with Glue [ phi |->
equiv^i refl ] A not reducing to anything).

Best regards,
- Jasper Hugunin