Just wanted to mention quickly for those who are interested in this kind of thing that a similar statement for the *stable* homotopy category is a theorem of Stefan Schwede's: http://www.math.uni-bonn.de/people/schwede/rigid.pdf Eric On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 9:57 PM Richard Williamson wrote: > Hi Ulrik, > > I mis-remembered the history a little: Corollary 5.2.2 of the > following paper of Toën and Vezzozi, from 2002, also gives a > proof of a lifting of the hypothèse inspiratrice. > > https://arxiv.org/abs/math/0212330 > > As one would expect, the paper 'La théorie de l'homotopie de > Grothendieck' of Maltsiniotis also briefly discusses the original > hypothèse inspiratrice, early on in the introduction (see especially > the footnote). > > I don't think that I know of other direct references beyond these, > except possibly in other writings of these authors; though the > quasi-categorical literature also, as one would expect, has a proof of > the same theorem as in the papers of Cisinski and Toën-Vezzosi. > > I think that the Cisinski's paper gives a very clear reason to > expect the result to be true when formulated in the language of a > sufficiently rich 'homotopical category theory', whether the > language be that of derivators, (∞,1)-categories, or whatever. > > It is remarkable that the result can be proven relatively easily > when formulated in a certain language, but if one insists on the > original version at the level of homotopy categories, then there seems > to be no way to approach it. This is the aspect of the hypothesis that > I am most interested in. A proof that the original hypothesis is > independent of ZFC would no doubt shed some very interesting light on > this dichotomy. > > Best wishes, > Richard > > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 01:38:15PM -0700, Ulrik Buchholtz wrote: > > Thanks, Richard! > > > > Of course, this is not directly pertaining to Matthieu, Nicolas and > Théo's > > question, but it's trying to capture an intuition that a universe should > be > > rigid, at least when considered together with some structure. > > > > How much structure suffices to make the universe rigid, and can we define > > this extra structure in HoTT? (We don't know how to say yet that the > > universe can be given the structure of an infinity-category strongly > > generated by 1, for example.) > > > > Do you know other references that pertain to the inspiring > assumption/hypothèse > > inspiratrice? > > > > Best wishes, > > Ulrik > > > > On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 9:44:43 PM UTC+2, Richard Williamson > wrote: > > > > > > I think the earliest proof of some version of Grothendieck's > > > hypothèse inspiratrice is in the following paper of Cisinki. > > > > > > http://www.tac.mta.ca/tac/volumes/20/17/20-17abs.html > > > > > > It is my belief that Grothendieck's original formulation, which > > > was for the homotopy category itself (as opposed to a lifting of > > > it), is independent of ZFC. A proof of this would be fascinating. > > > I have occasionally speculated about trying to use HoTT to give > > > such an independence proof. Vladimir's comment suggests that one > > > direction of this is already done. > > > > > > Best wishes, > > > Richard > > > > > > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:12:50AM -0700, Ulrik Buchholtz wrote: > > > > This is (related to) Grothendieck's “inspiring assumption” of > Pursuing > > > > Stacks section 28. > > > > > > > > I only know of the treatment by Barwick and Schommer-Pries in On the > > > > Unicity of the Homotopy Theory of Higher Categories: > > > > https://arxiv.org/abs/1112.0040 > > > > > > > > Theorem 8.12 for n=0 says that the Kan complex of homotopy theories > of > > > > (infinity,0)-categories is contractible. Of course this depends on > their > > > > axiomatization, Definition 6.8. Perhaps some ideas can be adapted. > > > > > > > > Cheers, > > > > Ulrik > > > > > > > > On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 5:15:45 PM UTC+2, Matthieu Sozeau > > > wrote: > > > > > > > > > > Dear all, > > > > > > > > > > we've been stuck with N. Tabareau and his student Théo > Winterhalter > > > on > > > > > the above question. Is it the case that all equivalences between a > > > universe > > > > > and itself are equivalent to the identity? We can't seem to prove > (or > > > > > disprove) this from univalence alone, and even additional > > > parametricity > > > > > assumptions do not seem to help. Did we miss a counterexample? Did > > > anyone > > > > > investigate this or can produce a proof as an easy corollary? What > is > > > the > > > > > situation in, e.g. the simplicial model? > > > > > > > > > > -- Matthieu > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > > Groups "Homotopy Type Theory" group. > > > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, > send > > > an email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com > . > > > > > > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > > > > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "Homotopy Type Theory" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Homotopy Type Theory" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >