Hi Martin, I think it was known. I taught this in my intro to HoTT class this semester: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/erijke/hott/univalence.pdf Best wishes, Egbert On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 2:36 AM, Martín Hötzel Escardó < escardo...@gmail.com> wrote: > Equivalence induction says that in order to prove something for all > equivalences, it is enough to prove it for all identity equivalences for > all types. > > This follows from univalence. But also, conversely, univalence follows > from it: > > http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe/agda-new/UF-Univalence.html#JEq > > Is this known? Some years ago it was claimed in this list that equivalence > induction would be strictly weaker than univalence. > > To prove the above, I apply a technique I learned from Peter Lumsdaine, > that given an abstract identity system (Id, refl , J) with no given > "computation rule" for J, produces another identity system (Id, refl , J' , > J'-comp) with > a "propositional computation rule" J'-comp for J'. > > http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe/agda-new/Lumsdaine.html > > Martin > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Homotopy Type Theory" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > -- egbertrijke.com