From: Kevin Buzzard <kevin.m.buzzard@gmail.com>
To: Michael Shulman <shulman@sandiego.edu>
Cc: "Martín Hötzel Escardó" <escardo.martin@gmail.com>,
	"Homotopy Type Theory" <HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] doing "all of pure mathematics" in type theory
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 18:49:12 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, 30 May 2019 at 18:14, Michael Shulman <shulman@sandiego.edu> wrote:

> Thanks Martin!  Of course you are right that there are people who
> don't need to be convinced and who derive benefit and pleasure from
> their formalization efforts, and in our community we probably
> encounter a lot of them.  However, I still maintain that the *average*
> working mathematician is not yet going to find such work useful or
> rewarding for its own sake.  If you go to, say, the U.S. Joint
> Mathematics Meetings and stop a hundred mathematicians at random in
> the lobby and ask whether they have ever formalized their work in a
> proof assistant, how many do you think will say yes?

I think this is absolutely right, and an important point. We can even
go further: ask 100 mathematicians whether they have ever formalised
*anything at all* in a proof assistant, and only epsilon will say yes.
This is why I am focussing on the undergraduates. What we as a
community can offer undergraduates is a guarantee that a proof is
correct; one could regard this as "instant feedback". I think it is
currently very difficult to answer the question I've been asked by
several staff members -- "what is in it for me"? Some people might
find this a negative approach, but if computer proof systems are
introduced in undergraduate curricula, and the response to the
question "what is the point of teaching these people type theory?" can
be something like this: "what is the point of teaching them Banach
spaces? Some will use it later on, many won't. Many students graduate,
leave mathematics, and never really use these high-powered objects
again. For those people, a course on type theory will teach them just
as much as a course on Banach spaces -- it will just give them another
domain where they can reason logically, learn some easy theorems,
learn some deeper results, etc. Oh, and there's evidence that one day
type theory will change the world in a way that Banach spaces probably
will not". This is the line I am going to take in a couple of years'
time when we are discussing changes to my university's curriculum.

And then in a generation's time, one can hope that more than epsilon
will say yes. Mathematical culture sometimes changes very slowly. We
might be using different systems but I still believe that we are
looking at the future, and if the current staff can't see it then we
have to work on the future staff. The problem I find with this evil
plan for world domination is that most senior people I talk to (across
all of these systems) tend not to be employed by maths departments.
This is a different issue, which needs different ideas, but those are
really orthogonal to this conversation. The thing I know for sure is
that there are modern maths undergraduates who grew up with computer
games and who find the idea of turning their example sheet questions
into levels of a computer game quite appealing.

Kevin