* Re: [HoTT] Infinitary type theory
       [not found] <CAOvivQwi8jXfY6Vx7yrQoBmwj6id8xsPC6fX+8j74cq4V7e+Ug@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-01-27 20:40 ` Jason Gross
From: Jason Gross @ 2023-01-27 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman; +Cc: HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com

(Resurrecting this thread because I stumbled upon it while rereading A
Formalized Interpreter
<https://homotopytypetheory.org/2014/08/19/a-formalized-interpreter/>, and
I believe I have something new to add.)

As I understand it, using `□A` to mean "syntax for A", an infinitary type
theory has rules like `(A → □B) → □(A → B)`.  (Note that this is exactly
what HOAS does, which explains why it's so easy to write an interpreter for
HOAS without running into the semisimplicial types coherence issues.)

> Are there other more serious problems with an infinitary type theory?
I think the answer to this is "it depends".  In "An Order-Theoretic
Analysis of Universe Polymorphism" <https://favonia.org/files/mugen.pdf>,
Favonia, Carlo Angiuli, and Reed Mullanix have a consistency proof for a
system with rational-indexed universes (and no explicit universe level
quantification).  However, infinitary rules give access to internal
universe quantification (consider the function `λ i. "Type"ᵢ`).  I believe
HOAS-like internal-level quantification rules out any "fractal-like" scheme
of universes (such as the rationals), because we can write an interpreter
for "terms using universes i with 0 <= i <= 1" into terms that use
universes between 0 and 2 (because we have enough universes to do that),
and then we can embed terms with universes between 0 and 2 back into terms
with universes between 0 and 1 (divide universe indices by 2), and this
loop gives inconsistency by Gödel / Löb.

So at the very least, having infinitary limits rules out some of the more
exotic universe level structures.

Best,
Jason

@ 2023-01-28 15:21   ` Nicolai Kraus
From: Nicolai Kraus @ 2023-01-28 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gross; +Cc: Michael Shulman, HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com

That's an interesting observation! However, I think the question of
universe hierarchies is orthogonal to the question of infinitary type
constructors.

I don't think access to internal universe quantifications is an inherent
consequence of infinitary constructors. I'd rather say that it's an
accidental side effect of Mike's formulation from 2014 that something like
"λ i. Type i" is possible, and it can easily be ruled out. In Section 2.4,
strengthening A1-3 of the 2LTT paper [1], a type theory with such
infinitary type constructors is specified without allowing internal
universe quantification. This is essentially because the externally indexed
sequence of types still has to live in a single fixed universe.

Agda actually *does* allow something like "λ i. Type i". While I view
constructions using it more as proof schemes than as single proofs ("book
HoTT" wouldn't allow it, you'll have to fix an index), I occasionally found
it very useful. Without something like this, I don't see how we could have
formalised the statement that "Universe Un is not an n-type in a hierarchy
U0, U1, U2, ... of univalent universes (without HITs)" [2]. But I would
*not* regard the formalisation [3] as a single proof. I see it as an
externally indexed family of Nat-many proofs, and it's only a lucky
accident (using a feature of Agda that isn't even part of the considered
type theory) that it can be implemented.

[1] https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.03307
[2] https://arxiv.org/abs/1311.4002
[3]
https://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~psznk/docs/thesisagda_nicolai/HHHUU-ComplicatedTypes.html

Best wishes,
Nicolai

@ 2023-01-28 17:45     ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2023-01-28 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolai Kraus; +Cc: Jason Gross, HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com

Also, apparently Agda's Set-omega breaks subject reduction:
https://github.com/agda/agda/issues/5810

@ 2023-01-28 20:26       ` Jason Gross
From: Jason Gross @ 2023-01-28 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman; +Cc: Nicolai Kraus, HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com

> I don't think access to internal universe quantifications is an inherent
consequence of infinitary constructors. I'd rather say that it's an
accidental side effect of Mike's formulation from 2014 that something like
"λ i. Type i" is possible, and it can easily be ruled out. In Section 2.4,
strengthening A1-3 of the 2LTT paper [1], a type theory with such
infinitary type constructors is specified without allowing internal
universe quantification. This is essentially because the externally indexed
sequence of types still has to live in a single fixed universe.

As I understand it, this just rules out universe qualification that is not
bounded above by a fixed universe, right?  It seems to me that you still
get internal quantization over levels less than a fixed level.  And this is
enough to make the construction generating inconsistency with Q-indexed
universes go through.

@ 2023-01-29 11:38         ` András Kovács
From: András Kovács @ 2023-01-29 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gross
  Cc: Michael Shulman, Nicolai Kraus, HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com

Jason: I agree that externally indexed products imply bounded universe
polymorphism, but I don't understand how we can derive inconsistency from
that together with rational levels. The operation that scales rational
levels can only be defined externally so it doesn't really affect the
possible internal constructions.

To be clear, by external products I mean e.g. the following for i : ℚ

Product : (ℕ → Tyᵢ Γ) → Tyᵢ Γ
lam     : ((n : ℕ) → Tmᵢ Γ (A n)) → Tmᵢ Γ (Product A)
app     : Tmᵢ Γ (Product A) → (n : ℕ) → Tmᵢ Γ (A n)

Jason Gross <jasongross9@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. jan. 28., Szo,
21:26):

@ 2023-01-31  1:11           ` Jason Gross
From: Jason Gross @ 2023-01-31  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)