On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Bas Spitters wrote: > Dear Jasper, > > Thanks. This is a nice result. > > Thorsten and Christian will correct me, but I believe the reduction > from indexed W-types to W-types was not fully worked out in HoTT > before. > All reductions (be it in extensional TT or MLTT with funext) that I know of carve the (homotopy) indexed W-type X out of a "larger" (homotopy) W-type Y. In book-style HoTT (where one has enough nice universes), the carving out can be done simply by defining a "predicate" P : Y -> U (not valued in propositions in general) by recursion on Y and letting X = (y : Y) x P(y). I believe I've seen Coq code by Peter Lumsdaine from quite a while ago doing this. But even without large elimination, the carving out can still be done using a certain coreflexive equalizer, just like Gambino-Hyland do it for extensional type theory using a equalizer (also coreflexive, but which doesn't matter in the 1-categorical context). I wanted to write this up nicely for a quite a while now, but I am still lacking a nice way of talking about internal higher functors and so on without universes. Christian > > Christian announced a beautiful route to it using ideas from higher > category theory, but I don't think the full details in HoTT ever > appeared. > I've tried to collect references here: > https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/inductive+family#higher_catego > rical_version_homotopy_type_theory > > I think it would be nice to add your results both to the HoTT library > and to Unimath. > > Best regards, > > Bas > > On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 5:41 AM, wrote: > > Hello, > > > > I have uploaded to GitHub a Coq development characterizing the equality > of > > Indexed W types (dependent W types, inductive families) up to > equivalence, > > as an Indexed W type. > > > > https://github.com/jashug/IWTypes > > > > We define an Indexed W type as an inductive family, where every node in a > > regular W type is assigned an index. > > We then show that the types a = b are inductively generated by (sup x > > children1) = (sup x children2) with children (children1 c = children2 c). > > > > Calling the map from the data of a node to its index f, we show if the > > fibers of f have positive h-level, then the Indexed W type has the same > > h-level. > > Assuming the children are finite enumerable, we also show that decidable > > equality is inherited from the fibers of f. > > > > I am not aware of these results in any of the literature; hopefully they > are > > a useful contribution to the understanding of inductive types in ITT / > HoTT. > > Please send any comments, questions or suggestions. > > > > - Jasper Hugunin > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "Homotopy Type Theory" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >