Yes, this has been known from Nicolai's work on truncation (e.g. "The General Universal Property"). I just learned that this has been mechanized in Agda by Nils as well. http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/equality/H-level.Truncation.html#18216 By the way, the condition (∏ x, c x x = idpath (f x)) is provable from transitivity. -Favonia On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 8:35 PM Daniel R. Grayson < danielrich...@gmail.com> wrote: Here's a fact related to the current discussion, which I have formalized today. I would appreciate knowing whether it's already known. It gives a criterion for factoring through the propositional truncation when the target is of h-level 3. Definition squash_to_HLevel_3 {X : UU} {Y : HLevel 3} (f : X -> Y) (c : ∏ x x', f x = f x') : (∏ x, c x x = idpath (f x)) -> (∏ x x' x'', c x x'' = c x x' @ c x' x'') -> ∥ X ∥ -> Y. You may find it in WellOrderedSets.v on one of my branches. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Homotopy Type Theory" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.