From: Michael Shulman <shulman@sandiego.edu>
To: Martin Hotzel Escardo <escardo.martin@gmail.com>
Cc: Homotopy Type Theory <HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] Injective types
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 09:55:36 -0700

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 11:25 PM <escardo.martin@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is nice, in practice, that universes are uniquely
> determined. Insted of thousands of level constraints, we have a
> unique, small, (polymorphic) level assignment.
> I think it is fair to the
> reader to let them know what the universe level assignments are rather
> than just say that they exist. In some cases, as injectivity, the
> universe levels are crucial, and if we ignore them we get false
> claims.

Yes, this is a good point in favor of Agda-style non-cumulative
Russell universes over Coq-style cumulative Russell universes.

But isn't there a middle ground with Tarski universes?  Suppose we
have explicit lifting operators Lift : U_i -> U_{i+1}, so that as in
Agda we have unique small polymorphic level assignments.  But then
suppose we have *definitional* equalities El(Lift(A)) == El(A).  Then
on the (rare) occasions when we do have to explicitly lift types from
one universe to another, we would get stronger cumulativity behavior.
(And I could imagine a proof assistant that implements this and sugars
away the El to look like Russell universes to the user.)