* [HoTT] Equality in the Model Type Framework
@ 2018-07-03  3:38 Matt Oliveri
From: Matt Oliveri @ 2018-07-03  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

I saw Dan Licata's Hausdorf talks about the framework for modal type
systems that he, Mike Shulman, and Mitchell Riley are working on.

As I understand it, a "mode theory" in this framework specifies a
judgmental structure, and the bold F and U type constructors provide
certain type constructors for each judgmental structure generically. The
resulting type systems correspond to certain doctrines, and each system can
be used to specify theories for structured categories of the corresponding
doctrine.

Neat. Except... theories usually involve equality. What equality is this,
on the type theory side? In the case of simple type systems, I guess it can
only be judgmental equality. But what about with dependent type systems?
What's the plan?

If dependently-typed theories could use judgmental equality in axioms, and
if one universe (without type constructors) was added to the framework, it
seems like each mode theory would yield a system analogous to Martin-Löf's
logical framework (MLLF), so a full constructive type theory could be
specified at the theory level. This sounds nice.

* [HoTT] Re: Equality in the Model Type Framework
@ 2018-07-03 16:17 ` Matt Oliveri
From: Matt Oliveri @ 2018-07-03 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 11:38:47 PM UTC-4, Matt Oliveri wrote:

> If dependently-typed theories could use judgmental equality in axioms, and
> if one universe (without type constructors) was added to the framework, it
> seems like each mode theory would yield a system analogous to Martin-Löf's
> logical framework (MLLF), so a full constructive type theory could be
> specified at the theory level. This sounds nice.

Come to think of it, this last part probably isn't right. Internal
implication-like connectives generally wouldn't work with modes and
substructure the way rules should.
Still wondering about equality.

* Re: [HoTT] Equality in the Model Type Framework
@ 2018-07-04  4:49 ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2018-07-04  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Oliveri; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory

We are still working out the details.  Semantically, I would certainly
expect a "theory" in a DTT to be allowed to assert judgmental
equalities.  But such theories might be poorly behaved syntactically:
allowing the "user" to add judgmental equalities in a DTT tends to
break lots of nice type-theoretic properties.  I could be wrong
though, perhaps someone more knowlegeable could say more -- this isn't
really a question about our modal DTT specifically but just more
generally about what a dependently typed "theory" is.

@ 2018-07-04 18:11   ` Matt Oliveri
From: Matt Oliveri @ 2018-07-04 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 12:50:03 AM UTC-4, Michael Shulman wrote:

> We are still working out the details.

I'm looking forward to more details!

Semantically, I would certainly
> expect a "theory" in a DTT to be allowed to assert judgmental
> equalities.  But such theories might be poorly behaved syntactically:

allowing the "user" to add judgmental equalities in a DTT tends to
> break lots of nice type-theoretic properties.

Basically; yeah.

In more detail, your approach seems to have three stages:
1) specify a mode theory
2) specify a theory in the resulting doctrine
3) use it

I figured the user could only add judgmental equalities in stage (2). The
equations in stage (1) seem like something else (usually "WLOGed" away in
the syntax), and the equations in stage (3) are typal equality.

I was guessing/hoping that the nice syntactic properties would only cover
the type system corresponding to the doctrine, and not cover the additional
constants and equations added in stage (2).

Dan already pointed out in his third Hausdorff talk that MLTT doesn't have
the subformula property. So it sure looks like user-specified constants and
equations at stage (2) rules that out. My impression was that you should
not expect the subformula property in a theory with logical strength.

Arbitrary equations rules out normalization too, because they could add
equality reflection. Although I don't recommend it, it should be possible
to impose a restricted way of adding equations, so that the system remains
normalizing. Justifying such a framework would be tricky without putting an
upper bound on the proof-theoretic strength of the normalization
metatheorem.

With equality reflection, the operational semantics and judgmental equality
become separate. Computational type theory is a way of getting a lot of
flexibility for equations while keeping canonicity. (Strong normalization
is not available.) Judgmental equality of t and t' in type T means that
computations t and t' implement the same element of T. But it seems like
that would be a big detour for you.

Really though, I don't think the nice syntactic properties should be a
concern when designing the *categorical* semantics of a full blown
dependent type theory. That's why I was hoping they would only pertain to
the bare doctrine.

this isn't
> really a question about our modal DTT specifically but just more
> generally about what a dependently typed "theory" is.

Wait a minute. Looking back at your "What Is an n-Theory?" post, you were
thinking of things like HoTT and cubical type theory as doctrines. I don't
understand how this fits with the modal type framework. A mode theory will
not be enough to specify that kind of doctrine, will it? And if those are
doctrines, why do theories also get judgmental equations? What are theories
used for?

* Re: [HoTT] Equality in the Model Type Framework
@ 2018-07-05  4:00     ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2018-07-05  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Oliveri; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Matt Oliveri <atmacen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Really though, I don't think the nice syntactic properties should be a
> concern when designing the categorical semantics of a full blown dependent
> type theory.

Right.  I would figure that nice syntactic properties usually only
apply to the initial/empty theory in a given doctrine, or perhaps more
generally to "free theories" i.e. without added judgmental equations.

> Wait a minute. Looking back at your "What Is an n-Theory?" post, you were
> thinking of things like HoTT and cubical type theory as doctrines. I don't
> understand how this fits with the modal type framework. A mode theory will
> not be enough to specify that kind of doctrine, will it? And if those are
> doctrines, why do theories also get judgmental equations? What are theories
> used for?

Roughly speaking, a doctrine specifies the "kinds of types" available
and how they relate (the judgmental structure), the operations
available on such types (type formers), the structure possessed by
these operations (term formers, intro/elim/etc.), and the laws
satisfied by that structure (computation beta/eta rules).  A theory in
that doctrine asserts the existence of particular types (you could
call them "nullary type formers"), structure possessed by types
(perhaps the particular ones you added, or perhaps ones constructed
using the doctrine operations), and axioms satisfied by that
structure.  So the things that a theory is "allowed to do" are a
subset of the things a doctrine is "allowed to do", but what gets
excluded is the "stuff" at the categorical top dimension, not the
"properties" (equations) at the categorical bottom dimension.  A
theory has to have equations (consider the theory of groups, for
instance, which has axioms for associativity and so on).

Our mode theories do not purport to describe *all* possible doctrines,
only a particularly simple and well-behaved class of them.  That said,
I believe intensional MLTT, at least, should be described by the
"tautological" or "simplest possible" mode theory with just one
comprehension-category mode and enough of the relevant F- and U-types,
including "indexed F-types" that specialize to Id-types.  Axioms like
funext and univalence could then be added in a particular theory.  The
judgmental/dependency structure of cubical TT should also be
describable by a suitably flexible version of our mode theories
(although we might not include that much generality in our first paper
on dependent modal type theory), with one mode for interval variables,
another dependent on it for face formulas, and a third
comprehension-category mode dependent on them for types.  The rest of
cubical TT is special, though.

* Re: [HoTT] Equality in the Model Type Framework
@ 2018-07-05  5:59       ` Matt Oliveri
From: Matt Oliveri @ 2018-07-05  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 12:00:25 AM UTC-4, Michael Shulman wrote:

> So the things that a theory is "allowed to do" are a
> subset of the things a doctrine is "allowed to do", but what gets
> excluded is the "stuff" at the categorical top dimension, not the
> "properties" (equations) at the categorical bottom dimension.

So on the syntactic side, this is saying that theories can't add constants
or equations to the mode theory? (Like flat and idempotence of flat.)

I believe intensional MLTT, at least, should be described by the
> "tautological" or "simplest possible" mode theory with just one
> comprehension-category mode and enough of the relevant F- and U-types,
> including "indexed F-types" that specialize to Id-types.

Would this support W types in the doctrine? Universes? Do universes somehow
pop up out of the new U types, or are they special?

* Re: [HoTT] Equality in the Model Type Framework
@ 2018-07-05 14:31         ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2018-07-05 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Oliveri; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 10:59 PM, Matt Oliveri <atmacen@gmail.com> wrote:
> So on the syntactic side, this is saying that theories can't add constants
> or equations to the mode theory? (Like flat and idempotence of flat.)

Yes.

> Would this support W types in the doctrine?

It's possible that there is a notion of "recursive F-type" that would
include W-types, but we haven't really worked that out yet.

> Universes? Do universes somehow
> pop up out of the new U types, or are they special?

I think universes are special.  In particular, they don't have a
universal property.