From: Michael Shulman <shulman@sandiego.edu>
To: "HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com"
	<homotopytypetheory@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] New theorem prover Arend is released
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:55:24 -0400	[thread overview]

In an off-list discussion, Valery clarified to me that \use\level for
\func does not actually put the type in the corresponding universe,
only marks it as having the corresponding homotopy level (and added
some documentation
https://arend-lang.github.io/documentation/language-reference/definitions/level#use-level-for-functions).
However, it also emerged that F(A,p) can also be *defined* for an
arbitrary type A (and an externally fixed n) as

\record F (A : \Type) (p : ofHLevel A n) {
  | in : A
} \where \use \level isntype (A : \Type) (p : ofHLevel A n) : ofHLevel A n => p

and that because records have definitional eta-conversion, this F(A,p)
will actually be definitionally isomorphic to A, rather than just
equivalent to it.

In particular, since \Prop is invariant under predicative level, this
means that (in the current version of Arend) every h-proposition is
definitionally isomorphic to one living in the lowest universe.  This
is not quite as strong as Voeovdsky's propositional resizing rule
(that every h-proposition *itself* lives in the lowest universe), but
I find it about equally semantically dubious, and in particular it's
unclear whether it has any univalent models (not even classically in
simplicial sets).  Perhaps it does; but until such models are known,
it may be better to avoid using this feature for \Prop, and perhaps
add a restriction to Arend preventing it.