On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 6:14:24 PM UTC-4, Martin Hotzel Escardo wrote: > > Some people like the K-axiom for U because ... (let them fill the answer). > It allows you to interpret (within type theory) the types of ITT + K as types of U, and their elements as the corresponding elements. (Conjecture?) Whereas without K, we don't know how to interpret ITT types as types of U. In other words, K is a simple way to give ITT reflection. Can we stare at the type (Id U X Y) objectively, mathematically, say > within intensional MLTT, where it was introduced, and, internally in > MLTT, ponder what it can be, and identify the only "compelling" thing it > can be as the type of equivalences X~Y, where "compelling" is a notion > remote from univalence? > How does Zermelo-style set-theoretic equality get ruled out as a potential "compelling" meaning for identity? Of course, there's a potential argument about what "compelling" ought to be getting at. You seem to not consider set-theoretic equality compelling, which I can play along with.