Unfortunately, this is a lose-lose situation. But I find Josh's argument below much more persuasive than mine above, and I agree with every single word. Martin On Friday, 15 April 2022 at 10:29:41 UTC+1 Josh Chen wrote: > I find the situation unfortunate and was also very much looking forward to > learning more from Mike, > > But as someone who followed the events that Andrej has described from the > start, with sadness I support the decision by the HoTTEST organizers to not > hold the lectures immediately thereafter under the auspices of a > Distinguished series. > > If nothing else, I feel it would have been premature that soon, and would > have worked against the goal of welcoming people of all gender > presentations and identities. I am not myself trans and can thus easily > afford to "tolerate" the public declaration of positions that lead to worse > societal outcomes for them. But this is not the case for the significant > number of trans people in, and adjacent to, the HoTT community, some of > whom have to actively hide this part of themselves on pain of e.g. family > violence. We should think about such things when considering using > hot-button phrases like "political correctness" and "cancel culture". > > I certainly look forward to hearing about Mike's (and Thorsten's and > Ambrus's) ideas in another format or on another occasion. > > With respect and kind regards, > Josh > > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Homotopy Type Theory" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to HomotopyTypeTheory+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/HomotopyTypeTheory/b5594a51-8412-412f-a3a2-da65b288a775n%40googlegroups.com.