HI Nicolai, It seems to me that this is true. Fixing (X,a,b), I was using the presentation [-] : X -> pushout p : [a] =_pushout [b] as the HIT in question. I tried using Dan's encode-decode method to show that this HIT is n-truncated if X is. I defined Code so that Code([x],[y]) is the type below: (x = y) + ((x = a) x (b = y) x \Sigma_{n : Nat} Fin(n) -> b = a) + ((x = b) x (a = y) x \Sigma_{n : Nat} Fin(n) -> a = b) which is (n-1 )-truncated, so this proves the HIT is n-truncated as desired. Here Fin(n+1) is the finite type with n+1 constructors. The intuition for the above type is that, if we look at paths from [x] to [y] in the HIT, they can be generated in one of 3 ways: 1) apply [-] to a path from x to y 2) apply [-] to a path from x to a, then do p, then apply [-] to a path from b to a, then do p, then (repeat) ... then apply [-] to a path from b to y 3) apply [-] to a path from x to b, then do p^{-1}, then apply [-] to a path from a to b, then do p^{-1}, then (repeat) ... then apply [-] to a path from a to y I have not worked out the details in full yet but this would be my first attempt at answering your question. Kristina On 1/4/2018 6:41 PM, Nicolai Kraus wrote: > Dear all, > > is something known about the status of the following question in > book-HoTT: > > Given a span >   X <- Bool -> Unit > where the type X is n-truncated (of h-level n+2), with n > 0, can it > be shown that the homotopy pushout is n-truncated? > > In other words: If we are given an n-type X with two specified points > and we add a single new path between the points, is the result still > an n-type? > It's clear that we can't generalise and replace Bool (which is S^0) by > S^k, but the above looks plausible to me. I don't see how to answer it > though. > > Thanks, > Nicolai > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "Homotopy Type Theory" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com > . > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.