On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 12:00:21 PM UTC-5, Kevin Buzzard wrote: > > ... But looking at > the things he formalised, he was doing things like the p-adic numbers, > and lots and lots of category theory. I am surprised that he did not > attempt to formalise the basic theory of schemes. > UniMath was formed from Voevodsky's Foundations (see https://github.com/UniMath/Foundations ) and some formalizations based on it by other people, starting with Benedikt Ahrens and me, and continuing with many others. In particular, the formalization of category theory began with Ahrens' formalization of the material in a joint paper of his with Kapulkin and Shulman, see https://github.com/UniMath/UniMath/blob/master/UniMath/CategoryTheory/README.md , and has been continued by other people, not Voevodsky. Voevodsky was probably too busy writing his papers on the semantics of the system to turn to formalizing the basic theory of schemes. For a while he said he wasn't even interested in formalizing his proof of the Milnor conjecture, because he was confident it was correct. Then later he said, in a talk, that it would be important top find a constructive proof of the Milnor conjecture, and to formalize it, pinpointing a particular argument due to Merkurjev and Suslin as being non-constructive, see the remark under the entry at http://www.math.ias.edu/Voevodsky/voevodsky-publications_abstracts.html#UniMath-1 I also remember, perhaps in early 2014, that he told me he was thinking of formalizing the definition of scheme (or maybe variety) so he could talk about it at a forthcoming talk, but he never did that. Eventually UniMath should have the theory of schemes in it. By the way, to go back to your original question, I think there are no "pain points" in formalizing traditional mathematics in UniMath. The pain and challenge seem only to come when generalizing traditional facts about sets so they apply also to types that are not assumed to be sets. For an example of that, see Peter Lumsdaine's proof of transfinite induction into a family of types at https://github.com/UniMath/UniMath/blob/master/UniMath/Combinatorics/WellFoundedRelations.v#L208 or see our proof with Bezem and Buchholtz that the type of ℤ-torsors satisfies the induction principle into a family of types that the circle satisfies, at https://github.com/UniMath/SymmetryBook/blob/master/ZTors.tex -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Homotopy Type Theory" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to HomotopyTypeTheory+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/HomotopyTypeTheory/d57bb2de-ff98-484b-8bc0-9c3f31620a47%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.