* nnimap and split with parent
@ 2002-06-04 10:10 Andreas Büsching
       [not found] ` <m3adqb2i7f.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de>
From: Andreas Büsching @ 2002-06-04 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gnus User and Developer,

As everybody can see I'm using Oort Gnus und as one mail backend I'm
using nnimap. With the current CVS version of Oort Gnus nnimap works
very fine and fast. Just one more feature I would like to have: For some
other mail backend[1] there is a function called
nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent (or somehting like that). Is can be used
to move mails into the same folder as there parents. is there any way to
have this feature with nnimap?

hoping for a good idea

crunchy

Footnotes:
[1]  I've tried to find out which mail backends are usable and it seems
to be that the backend must have the option respool and a function called
*-get-new-mail

--
Old age is the most unexpected of things that can happen to a man.
                -- Trotsky

* Re: nnimap and split with parent
@ 2002-06-04 10:49 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <m3adqb2i7f.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-04 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:

> As everybody can see I'm using Oort Gnus und as one mail backend I'm
> using nnimap. With the current CVS version of Oort Gnus nnimap works
> very fine and fast. Just one more feature I would like to have: For some
> other mail backend[1] there is a function called
> nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent (or somehting like that). Is can be used
> to move mails into the same folder as there parents. is there any way to
> have this feature with nnimap?

It would be fairly easy to change nnimap splitting such that it looks
at ~/.nnmail-cache.  But you have to change more code in nnmail.el so
that it works well with nnimap.

Currently, the whole thing is rather limited, I'm afraid: it works
only for one backend.  It stores group names without the server name
in .nnmail-cache and if the `primary mail backend' changes all that
data is bogus.

Wasn't there somebody working on changing this?  I forget.  But I
think you will find something in the archives for the Gnus mailing
list.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: nnimap and split with parent
@ 2002-06-04 13:54   ` Andreas Büsching
       [not found]     ` <vafznybf619.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Andreas Büsching @ 2002-06-04 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:
>
>> As everybody can see I'm using Oort Gnus und as one mail backend I'm
>> using nnimap. With the current CVS version of Oort Gnus nnimap works
>> very fine and fast. Just one more feature I would like to have: For some
>> other mail backend[1] there is a function called
>> nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent (or somehting like that). Is can be used
>> to move mails into the same folder as there parents. is there any way to
>> have this feature with nnimap?
>
> It would be fairly easy to change nnimap splitting such that it looks
> at ~/.nnmail-cache.  But you have to change more code in nnmail.el so
> that it works well with nnimap.
>
> Currently, the whole thing is rather limited, I'm afraid: it works
> only for one backend.  It stores group names without the server name
> in .nnmail-cache and if the `primary mail backend' changes all that
> data is bogus.

That would be no problem for me, because I just want to do this kind of
splitting with my IMAP boxes. Because nnimap does not comply with the
properties for a 'primary-mail-backend' (option respool and function
*-get-new-mail) Gnus thinks, that nnfolder is my primary backend (used
for archives).

> Wasn't there somebody working on changing this?  I forget.  But I
> think you will find something in the archives for the Gnus mailing
> list.

I think so too, but I can't find anything on
http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/.

crunchy

--
Old age is the most unexpected of things that can happen to a man.
                -- Trotsky

* Re: x-face with greys
       [not found] ` <m3adqb2i7f.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de>
@ 2002-06-04 16:02   ` Andreas Büsching
       [not found]     ` <m34rgij8k3.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de>
From: Andreas Büsching @ 2002-06-04 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> wrote:

> Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:
> [...]
>
> Do my eyes betray me? Or do you really have an x-face with a grey
> color?  This is possible? How?

I think your eyes work fine ;-) If you look at my mail hgeader you will
see, that there are 3 X-Face header lines. Oort Gnus is able to create
one Face by combining these lines. You can use as much colors as you
want and for each color you will get one X-Face line (I think)

> Are other mail-/newsreaders able to cope with this sort of x-faces,
> too?

I don't think so. Do you know any Mail-/Newsreader which is able to
display the normal X-Face header.

crunchy

--
The only person getting his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

* Re: x-face with greys
       [not found]       ` <ufseiojda72428@news.supernews.com>
@ 2002-06-06  5:29         ` J.B. Moreno
From: J.B. Moreno @ 2002-06-06  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ufseiojda72428@news.supernews.com>,
 those who know me have no need of my name wrote:

> in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:
>
> >I always thought, X-Faces are some sort of _informal_
> >standard. Is this really a Gnus-only thing?
>
> absolutely not, x-faces have been around for a long time and support exists
> in other newsreaders (e.g., luu tran's xnews) -- see picons at
> <http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/>.

And on the Mac there is MacSOUP, MTNW, YANW, Thoth and a couple of
other programs that are currently skipping my mind (and that's leaving
out SLRN and other console programs under OSX).

--
J.B. Moreno

* Re: nnimap and split with parent
       [not found]               ` <xtzhekg51n2.fsf@dolormin.informatik.uni-bremen.de>
@ 2002-06-06 12:08                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-06 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:

> Okay, I tried to move Mails from one IMAP folder to another and nothing
> happens in .nnmail-cache. BTW in .nnmail-cache there are only entries
> looking like this:
>
> <20020531122201.19967.9585.Mailman@fries.zyn.de>

No, you should get a tab and the group name after the message id.

Whee.  I wonder why that is?  Is the function called at all which
normally adds stuff to .nnmail-cache?  Can you put point in that
function and do M-x edebug-defun RET and then single-step the function
(with SPC) to see what's happening, please?

Thanks,
kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: nnimap and split with parent
@ 2002-06-06 14:08                   ` Andreas Büsching
       [not found]                     ` <vafd6v4e3lt.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Andreas Büsching @ 2002-06-06 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:
>
>> Okay, I tried to move Mails from one IMAP folder to another and nothing
>> happens in .nnmail-cache. BTW in .nnmail-cache there are only entries
>> looking like this:
>>
>> <20020531122201.19967.9585.Mailman@fries.zyn.de>
>
> No, you should get a tab and the group name after the message id.
>
> Whee.  I wonder why that is?  Is the function called at all which
> normally adds stuff to .nnmail-cache?  Can you put point in that
> function and do M-x edebug-defun RET and then single-step the function
> (with SPC) to see what's happening, please?

I really would like to do that for you, but ...

What exactly is the function which is normally called to add stuff to
.nnmail-cache? I think this could be nnmail-cache-insert. I tried to do
the thing with the edebug-defun[1] and moved a Mail from one IMAP folder
to another. I think that should have been the point where the debugger
should get in action, but it did not happen. Did I make a mistake?

I'm not really sure what exactly is inserted into the cache and when?

crunchy

Footnotes:
[1]  I have never debug elisp code before. But the function seems to do
the right thing.

--
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

* Re: nnimap and split with parent
       [not found]                               ` <xtzptyzlkkd.fsf@dolormin.informatik.uni-bremen.de>
@ 2002-06-11 15:05                                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-11 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:

> Oaky there any change that this will be done?

No problem: you write a patch, sign the papers, and someone will
commit it :-)

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)