* Not able to activate Gnus
@ 2009-04-20 12:55 Atul
From: Atul @ 2009-04-20 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I have compiled and installed the latest Emacs from the CVS
repository. With earlier versions of my Emacs, I used to regularly
check my email with Gnus. But now it does not start. The error message
says:

"nnimap-find-minmax-uid: Symbol's function definition is void: imap-
fetch-safe"

What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Atul

* Re: Not able to activate Gnus
@ 2009-04-26 22:47 ` yamaoka
From: yamaoka @ 2009-04-26 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

;; My message posted in 21 Apr seems to have been lost.
;; This is the second try.

> I have compiled and installed the latest Emacs from the CVS
> repository. With earlier versions of my Emacs, I used to regularly
> check my email with Gnus. But now it does not start. The error message
> says:

> "nnimap-find-minmax-uid: Symbol's function definition is void: imap-
> fetch-safe"

> What could be the problem?

My best guess is that you have an old imap.el installed in the
site-lisp directory or something.  You can find it by performing:

M-x locate-library RET imap RET

Maybe some other old modules are also there.  Try removing them
or modifying the `load-path' variable to make it prefer the newest
ones.  For example, put this line in the ~/.emacs file:

(push "DIRECTORY" load-path)

Where DIRECTORY is the directory name that the following command
reports:

M-x locate-library RET net/imap RET

`imap-fetch-safe' is a new function introduced in Jan 1, 2009.

* Re: Not able to activate Gnus
@ 2009-04-27  6:32   ` Atul
From: Atul @ 2009-04-27  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Apr 27, 6:47 am, yama...@jpl.org wrote:

> My best guess is that you have an old imap.el installed in the
> site-lisp directory or something.  You can find it by performing:
>
> M-x locate-library RET imap RET

yes! That was it. I had an old imap.el lying around in another
directory on my load path. After removing that Gnus is working like a
charm. Thanks a lot for your help !!

Atul