* How to make gnus store received mail in the directory /mnt/windows?
@ 2005-08-14 11:38 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-08-14 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I want gnus to store my received mail in a certain directory,
let's call it `/path/to/mydir'. To do so, I just put in my .gnus.el
the following:

(setq gnus-select-method  '(nnml "received-mail"
				 (nnml-directory "/path/to/mydir")
))

, and it works fine.
Now, the problem is that the desired directory is /mnt/windows,
and gnus refuses to store mail there, maybe because of a matter of
permissions. But the command `$ ls -l /mnt' shows that the
dir /mnt/windows is writable by all users.
How can I work the problem out?

Thanks for any help,
Rodolfo

* Re: How to make gnus store received mail in the directory /mnt/windows?
@ 2005-08-14 12:08 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2005-08-14 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

romeomedina@libero.it writes:

> Now, the problem is that the desired directory is /mnt/windows, and
> gnus refuses to store mail there, maybe because of a matter of
> permissions. But the command `$ ls -l /mnt' shows that the dir
> /mnt/windows is writable by all users.  How can I work the problem
> out?

You can't write to an NTFS file system from Gnu/Linux (I don't know if
that's your setup, though).

* Re: How to make gnus store received mail in the directory /mnt/windows?
@ 2005-08-14 12:51   ` romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-08-14 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

But I usually write files and directoried from my Gnu/Linux station
onto the MS Windows partition...

@ 2005-08-14 14:04   ` Barutan Seijin
From: Barutan Seijin @ 2005-08-14 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 Aug 2005, Jesper Harder wrote:

> romeomedina@libero.it writes:
>
> > Now, the problem is that the desired directory is /mnt/windows, and
> > gnus refuses to store mail there, maybe because of a matter of
> > permissions. But the command `$ ls -l /mnt' shows that the dir
> > /mnt/windows is writable by all users.  How can I work the problem
> > out?
>
> You can't write to an NTFS file system from Gnu/Linux (I don't know if
> that's your setup, though).

No, that's not true.  It's been possible for a while, and it's not
even listed as "dangerous" anymore.  It's possible that the OP merely
needs to compile a new kernel with NTFS write support enabled.

--
Barutan Seijin -- barutanseijin@gmail.com

* Re: How to make gnus store received mail in the directory /mnt/windows?
@ 2005-08-14 15:15     ` romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-08-14 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

The MS Windows partition is present on my machine
in /mnt/windows. I've always had access to it without need
to compile a new kernel: the problem only arose with gnus
storing mail.

Rodolfo