* Migrating mail from MS Outlook to Gnus
@ 2005-08-31  9:49 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-08-31  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Last February I started a thread with the present subject.
Now I wanted to continue it, but didn't manage to:
I have to start it again. Please someone can tell how to prosecute
old threads?

I managed to migrate old mail from MS Outlook to gnus,
but gnus does not show the 'from' and the `subject' field in the summer
buffer:
in their place, there is `nobody' and `none'. But within each message
the
headers are visible: in fact in my .gnus.el I put the line:
(setq gnus-show-all-headers t)

. That's what I did:

* within Outlook, in a certain folder I did:
  edit > select all
  file > save as...
  , and saved the whole folder in the file `/path/to/newbie.txt';

* within gnus I did:
  `G f /path/to/newbie.txt'
  , so creating an nndoc group; then, within that group,
  `M P b'
  and
  `B r nnml'

. This way the old messages were imported to normal Gnus mail group
hierarchy,
but in the Summary buffer, unlike all other messages, the imported ones
do not show the `from' and `subject'. If this problem remains,
migrating old mail
into gnus can not be considered happily solved.
Is it possible to recover this, and how?

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Rodolfo

* Migrating mail from MS Outlook to Gnus
@ 2005-02-08 10:03 romeomedina
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: romeomedina @ 2005-02-08 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I want to migrate my mail from Microsoft Outlook 2000 to emacs Gnus.
In gnus FAQ it is suggested to tell my old mail program to export the
messages
in mbox format (finding tools for that at
http://mbx2mbox.sourgeforce.net)
and then to import this mbox file into Gnus.
>From that site I downloaded the file mbx2mbox-0.34.tar.gz and installed
the package,
but didn't manage to convert mbx into mbox format. Here are the steps I
did:

1) Within MS Outlook, I did:
   File > import and export > export into a file > dBase
   , then selected a folder and saved it with the name myfile.mbx.

2) I downloaded mbx2mbox-0.34.tar.gz from
   http://mbx2mbox.sourceforge.net
   and copied into my ~/tmp dir. Then I did:

   # urpmi Manip

   $ cd ~/tmp

   $ tar xzvf mbx2mbox-0.34.tar.gz

   $ cd mbx2mbox-0.34

   $ perl Makefile.PL

   $ make

   $ make test

   # make install

   , and mbx2mbox seemed to install successfully.

3) I did:

   $ mbx2mbox myfile.mbx

   , but the file 'myfile' which was produced is empty.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Rodolfo