* How do i get my mail from where fetchmail/procmail put it?
@ 2006-05-01 17:22 subopt
From: subopt @ 2006-05-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I set up Gnus to handle my IMAP email directly, but the IMAP server
was very slow, and i was constantly having mailbox quota issues, so i
got fetchmail/procmail to fetch my IMAP mail, sort it, and put it into
subdirs of ~/FetchedMail/ :

    bugzilla/    LSF/    team/    boss/    personal/   (etc)

The messages' names look like:

    msg.1fj8   msg.4sTIB  msg.7bu8   msg.9scH   msg.DtcH   msg.Kcu8

(I don't have a /var/spool/mail/<me>/ dir, and our sys-admins won't
create one.)

I want Gnus to use nnml to handle that email. I've read through most
of the Select Methods / Getting Mail section of the manual, and now
i'm thoroughly confused. I can't figure out how nnml relates to
nnmail, or how to set 'gnus-select-method' correctly (we don't have a
news server) to get my mail from my ~/FetchedMail/ dir and put it in
the numbered files style in ~/Mail/. I fiddled about with the
'mail-sources' var, but that didn't help either.  (BTW, each time i
make a new ~/.gnus, i first kill emacs, and delete my old
~/.newsrc.eld, so as to not confuse Gnus.)

This seems like it should be a very simple thing to do, particularly
since i plan on doing all splitting and spam filtering via procmail,
and since i'm only doing email. But i'm obviously missing some simple
concept here. Can anyone post me the few lines i need to make this
happen? Or, if it's a lot of code, and just horribly complicated, tell
me which parts of the Gnus manual i need to completely understand to
fix this.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: How do i get my mail from where fetchmail/procmail put it?
@ 2006-05-01 20:02 ` subopt
From: subopt @ 2006-05-01 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Never mind. Thanks to bojohan (via #emacs) i got it sussed out.

* Re: How do i get my mail from where fetchmail/procmail put it?
@ 2006-05-01 20:11   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2006-05-01 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1 May 2006 13:02:55 -0700, subopt@gmail.com wrote:

> Never mind. Thanks to bojohan (via #emacs) i got it sussed out.

In case anyone ever has the same problem as you did and by search
finds your thread: What was the solution?

  Best regards,

--
 "Computer science is no more about computers than            Adam Sjøgren
  astronomy is about telescopes."                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How do i get my mail from where fetchmail/procmail put it?
@ 2006-05-03 16:48     ` subopt
From: subopt @ 2006-05-03 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I set my ~/FetchedMail/ directory aside, then recreated it, but
without creating the subdirectories. When procmail tries to implement
a rule, and there's no directory matching the target name, it creates
a _file_ by that name. Thereafter, it just appends to that file.

That didn't quite solve it, though. I found an additional procmail
rule i had to use:

    :0 fhw
    | /usr/bin/formail -a Message-Id: -a "Subject: (None)"

I found this recipe here:

    http://blog-old.vojta.name/archives/cat_6.html

Then, i just set up the simplest possible ~/.gnus imaginable:

    (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
    (setq mail-sources '(
                         (directory :path "/home/me/FetchedMail")
                         ))

That's all. Now it works, and far faster than my straight IMAP access
was. And no silly 50 MB quota either.

* Re: How do i get my mail from where fetchmail/procmail put it?
@ 2006-05-06  5:10       ` Din
From: Din @ 2006-05-06  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
    Did u came across this post