* archiving mail with nnmail-expiry-target
@ 2006-06-07 22:43 martin.bishop
From: martin.bishop @ 2006-06-07 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my .gnus I have the following

(setq nnmail-expiry-wait 'immediate)
(setq nnmail-expiry-target
        '(lambda (group)
         (concat "nnfolder:"
                 (format-time-string "%b-%Y." (current-time))
                 group)))

Is there any way to prevent gnus from opening the group to be archive
to in a buffer ?
I.E. when I go to exit emacs, I get prompted to save the Jun-2006.Inbox
buffer

* Re: archiving mail with nnmail-expiry-target
@ 2006-06-07 22:51 ` Nelson Ferreira
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2006-06-07 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"martin" == martin bishop@gmail com <martin.bishop@gmail.com> writes:

    martin> In my .gnus I have the following
    martin> (setq nnmail-expiry-wait 'immediate)
    martin> (setq nnmail-expiry-target
    martin>         '(lambda (group)
    martin>          (concat "nnfolder:"

Here you are using the nnfolder backend which is a single file based
group which gets loaded into a buffer. If you use nnml or some other
backend you'll get around this..

    martin>                  (format-time-string "%b-%Y." (current-time))
    martin>                  group)))

    martin> Is there any way to prevent gnus from opening the group to be archive
    martin> to in a buffer ?
    martin> I.E. when I go to exit emacs, I get prompted to save the Jun-2006.Inbox
    martin> buffer

Are you sure you quit Gnus properly with 'q' in the Group buffer ?
Gnus should save the buffer at that time. You can also do it by
pressing 's' in the group buffer which saves all changes in the state
of groups etc.

--
Nelson Ferreira

* Re: archiving mail with nnmail-expiry-target
@ 2006-06-07 23:21   ` martin.bishop
From: martin.bishop @ 2006-06-07 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nelson Ferreira wrote:

> Here you are using the nnfolder backend which is a single file based
> group which gets loaded into a buffer. If you use nnml or some other
> backend you'll get around this..

I'll keep this in mind as a plan B. I was hoping to keep things in
separate mbox
files so that I can use various other tools against them.

> Are you sure you quit Gnus properly with 'q' in the Group buffer ?
> Gnus should save the buffer at that time. You can also do it by
> pressing 's' in the group buffer which saves all changes in the state
> of groups etc.

Yes, I'm using q to exit gnus. I've just tried using s as well and this
also
doesn't save the changes. I still get prompted by emacs at quit time
to save Mail/Jun-2006/Inbox. Must gnus open an mbox file in a buffer to
append expired messages to it ? I'm starting to think that even if I
can
get it to save the changes, it is going to cause problems once I start
having up to a month worth of various mailing list mboxes open in
various
buffers. Is going to a different backend for expiry-targets the only
way to solve this ?

* Re: archiving mail with nnmail-expiry-target
@ 2006-06-08  0:12     ` Nelson Ferreira
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2006-06-08  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"martin" == martin bishop@gmail com <martin.bishop@gmail.com> writes:

    martin> Nelson Ferreira wrote:

[...]

    martin> Yes, I'm using q to exit gnus. I've just tried using s as
    martin> well and this also doesn't save the changes. I still get
    martin> prompted by emacs at quit time to save
    martin> Mail/Jun-2006/Inbox.

Barring any weird bug in Gnus, this leads me to think that Gnus is not
thinking of this folder as in it's active select methods...
And I think I know why. See how it is trying to place the archive
inside the Jun-2006 dir? This must be preventing Gnus from considering
that as a managed group. Try:

(setq nnmail-expiry-target
        '(lambda (group)
         (concat "nnfolder:"
                 (format-time-string "%b-%Y-" (current-time))
                 group)))

Notice that I replaced the '.' after the year with a dash.

    martin> Must gnus open an mbox file in a buffer to append expired
    martin> messages to it ?

Yes. That is how elisp handles updates to files.

    martin> I'm starting to think that even if I can get it to save
    martin> the changes, it is going to cause problems once I start
    martin> having up to a month worth of various mailing list mboxes
    martin> open in various buffers.

They will only be opened if:
     a) You accessed them and did not exit the group
     b) Some messages were recently expired there.

    martin> Is going to a different backend for expiry-targets the
    martin> only way to solve this ?

If the change I suggest above does not do it, then it is the only one
_I_ see. Maybe someone more knowledgeable here can give a better suggestion.

--
Nelson Ferreira

* Re: archiving mail with nnmail-expiry-target
@ 2006-06-08  0:59       ` martin.bishop
From: martin.bishop @ 2006-06-08  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Changes the location as predicted, but still needs to be saved manually
as before. I changed from nnfolder: to nnml: and things work properly
for both the dash and dot separation case. So, I'd suspect the expiry
routine in nnfolder.el is missing something. I've had a look, but my
lisp-fu is not strong enough yet.