* pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 11:24 Hadron Quark
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-12 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone offer advice on pgg v mailcrypt.

There is the info page for pgg (thanks Rainer), but I dont really see
any advantages over mailcrypt (which also comes as a debina package
complete with default key bindings).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 12:41 ` gdt
From: gdt @ 2006-06-12 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I used to use mailcrypt with MH-E and have switched to PGG with gnus.
Mailcrypt seems to be no longer maintained.  I'm not sure mailcrypt
can handle PGP/MIME as well - PGG will verify signatures of nested
messages within an overall signed message.

There is the point about remailers, but I suspect that could be added
to PGG pretty easily.

--
	Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com>

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 12:42 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-06-12 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 12 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Can anyone offer advice on pgg v mailcrypt.
>
> There is the info page for pgg (thanks Rainer), but I dont really see
> any advantages over mailcrypt (which also comes as a debina package
> complete with default key bindings).

Mailcrypt is not part of Emacs and not actively maintained, AFAICS.
PGG is primary GPG/PGP library in Gnus and Emacs.  PGG is included in
Gnus (and will be included in Emacs 22) and it is actively maintained.

,----[ http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/ ]
`----

,----[ http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/ ]
| Things to Do
|
| [...]
|
|     * Fix signing under GNUS/Mule. Currently, Emacs marks foreign
|     characters with the byte '\207', which it strips out before
|     posting. Mailcrypt signs buffer contents with those characters,
|     thus generating invalid signatures.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 12:46 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2006-06-12 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Can anyone offer advice on pgg v mailcrypt.

Mailcrypt is obsolete.

--
Bastien

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 13:09   ` Hadron Quark
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-12 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can anyone offer advice on pgg v mailcrypt.
>
> Mailcrypt is obsolete.
>
> --
> Bastien

Someone better tell Ubuntu/debian that then.

I can find no tutorial or easy "howto guide" for PGG.

Where is mailcrypt tagged obsolete?

Can anyone point me into the right direction for using pgg from a set of
defined default keybindings in gnus? I cant find how to encrypt a post
(only region) or  how to interactively change the gpg user id.

But since mailcrypt works, is documented and (seems) more flexible and
easy to use I'll stick with it for now : the undlerying cyphers are done
using gpg so there is no security risk as mailcrypt is just a front end
I guess. Or?

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 13:22     ` gdt
From: gdt @ 2006-06-12 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:
>
>> Mailcrypt is obsolete.
>
> Someone better tell Ubuntu/debian that then.
>
> Where is mailcrypt tagged obsolete?

The last release is September 2002.  One can infer that it isn't being
maintained.

> I can find no tutorial or easy "howto guide" for PGG.

See the Gnus texinfo manual.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusPGG

> Can anyone point me into the right direction for using pgg from a set of
> defined default keybindings in gnus? I cant find how to encrypt a post
> (only region) or  how to interactively change the gpg user id.

      (require 'pgg)
      (setq mm-verify-option 'known)
      (setq mm-decrypt-option 'known)
      (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types
	    '("multipart/signed" "multipart/encrypted"))

      (add-hook
       'message-setup-hook
       (lambda ()
	 (mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)))

Then, when composing a message, and in summary, do ^H m and read all
the keybindings with "secure" in them.
See "W s" in summary mode.

> But since mailcrypt works, is documented and (seems) more flexible and
> easy to use I'll stick with it for now : the undlerying cyphers are done
> using gpg so there is no security risk as mailcrypt is just a front end
> I guess. Or?

A big issue is in getting the passphrase from the keyboard, via emacs,
to gpg.  It's important not to write it to disk.

--

@ 2006-06-12 13:22     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2006-06-12 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> I can find no tutorial or easy "howto guide" for PGG.

Yes, but (info "pgg") should help you in some way.

> Where is mailcrypt tagged obsolete?

The officiel Mailcrypt webpage has been last modified in 2002 (Thu Sep
26 01:19:49 PDT 2002) - http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/

Maybe it's not *officially* obsolete (if there is some sense of being
officially obsolete when a tool is still working), but apparently it's
no being supported anymore.

> Can anyone point me into the right direction for using pgg from a set of
> defined default keybindings in gnus?

The "attachement" menu gives you a few hints:

C-c RET C-s -> sign
C-c RET C-c -> encrypt
C-c RET C-e -> sign and encrypt

> I cant find how to encrypt a post (only region) or  how to
> interactively change the gpg user id.

Here is the relevant part of my config.  Hope this helps.

(autoload 'pgg-encrypt-region "pgg"
  "Encrypt the current region." t)
(autoload 'pgg-decrypt-region "pgg"
  "Decrypt the current region." t)
(autoload 'pgg-sign-region "pgg"
  "Sign the current region." t)
(autoload 'pgg-verify-region "pgg"
  "Verify the current region." t)
(autoload 'pgg-insert-key "pgg"
  "Insert the ASCII armored public key." t)
(autoload 'pgg-snarf-keys-region "pgg" "Import public keys in the
  current region." t)

;; Emacs should always decrypt and verify emails
;; automatically
(setq mm-verify-option 'always)
(setq mm-decrypt-option 'always)
(setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types
      '("multipart/encrypted" "multipart/signed"))

(setq pgg-default-user-id "[your gpg identity]"
      pgg-query-keyserver t)

(setq pgg-default-keyserver-address "subkeys.pgp.net"
      pgg-encrypt-for-me nil)

--
Bastien

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 13:41       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-12 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I can find no tutorial or easy "howto guide" for PGG.
>
> Yes, but (info "pgg") should help you in some way.

Not really as it doesnt answer the main questions (see below)

>> Where is mailcrypt tagged obsolete?
>
> The officiel Mailcrypt webpage has been last modified in 2002 (Thu Sep
> 26 01:19:49 PDT 2002) - http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/
>
> Maybe it's not *officially* obsolete (if there is some sense of being
> officially obsolete when a tool is still working), but apparently it's
> no being supported anymore.

But it works :) And is a supported debian package which requires no
manual intervention to integrate into emacs.

>> Can anyone point me into the right direction for using pgg from a set of
>> defined default keybindings in gnus?
>
> The "attachement" menu gives you a few hints:

Sorry to be dense, but what attachment menu? Is that included if I add
the pgg lines below?

> C-c RET C-s -> sign
> C-c RET C-c -> encrypt
> C-c RET C-e -> sign and encrypt
>
>> I cant find how to encrypt a post (only region) or  how to
>> interactively change the gpg user id.
>
> Here is the relevant part of my config.  Hope this helps.
>
> (autoload 'pgg-encrypt-region "pgg"
>   "Encrypt the current region." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-decrypt-region "pgg"
>   "Decrypt the current region." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-sign-region "pgg"
>   "Sign the current region." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-verify-region "pgg"
>   "Verify the current region." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-insert-key "pgg"
>   "Insert the ASCII armored public key." t)
> (autoload 'pgg-snarf-keys-region "pgg" "Import public keys in the
>   current region." t)

Unfortunately all "emacs regions" and not gnus posts/emails.

> ;; Emacs should always decrypt and verify emails
> ;; automatically
> (setq mm-verify-option 'always)
> (setq mm-decrypt-option 'always)
> (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types
>       '("multipart/encrypted" "multipart/signed"))
>
> (setq pgg-default-user-id "[your gpg identity]"
>       pgg-query-keyserver t)
>
> (setq pgg-default-keyserver-address "subkeys.pgp.net"
>       pgg-encrypt-for-me nil)

Thanks I'll try later. But how to interactively change your pgg "ID"
interactively?

Should it just work with my gpg setup that mailcrypt currently talks to?
I'm kind of loath to mess around too much at this moment since its all
working nicely with mailcrypt.

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 13:59         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2006-06-12 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry to be dense, but what attachment menu? Is that included if I add
> the pgg lines below?

I meant the "attachment" menu when you're composing a message.  I
thought you primarily wanted to use pgg with messages - sorry.

> Should it just work with my gpg setup that mailcrypt currently talks
> to? I'm kind of loath to mess around too much at this moment since
> its all working nicely with mailcrypt.

So why don't you want to stick to Mailcrypt until you really *need* to
switch to pgg.el ?

--
Bastien

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 14:56           ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-12 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry to be dense, but what attachment menu? Is that included if I add
>> the pgg lines below?
>
> I meant the "attachment" menu when you're composing a message.  I
> thought you primarily wanted to use pgg with messages - sorry.

I did. I was being stupid. Apologies.

>> Should it just work with my gpg setup that mailcrypt currently talks
>> to? I'm kind of loath to mess around too much at this moment since
>> its all working nicely with mailcrypt.
>
> So why don't you want to stick to Mailcrypt until you really *need* to
> switch to pgg.el ?

Now I have opened my eyes I will play with the attachments menu : but
already strange things such as "pgp5 key not found" and so forth - guess
I have some variables to play with. Thanks.

> --
> Bastien

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-12 15:20             ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-12 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Sorry to be dense, but what attachment menu? Is that included if I add
>>> the pgg lines below?
>>
>> I meant the "attachment" menu when you're composing a message.  I
>> thought you primarily wanted to use pgg with messages - sorry.
>
> I did. I was being stupid. Apologies.
>

>>> Should it just work with my gpg setup that mailcrypt currently talks
>>> to? I'm kind of loath to mess around too much at this moment since
>>> its all working nicely with mailcrypt.
>>
>> So why don't you want to stick to Mailcrypt until you really *need* to
>> switch to pgg.el ?
>>

> Now I have opened my eyes I will play with the attachments menu : but
> already strange things such as "pgp5 key not found" and so forth - guess
> I have some variables to play with. Thanks.

And I still see no easy way to change encryption user id on the fly. Any
ideas on that?

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-13  6:17     ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2006-06-13  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

      > Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:
    >> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone offer advice on pgg v mailcrypt.
    >>  Mailcrypt is obsolete.
    >>
    >> -- Bastien

      > Someone better tell Ubuntu/debian that then.

      > I can find no tutorial or easy "howto guide" for PGG.

      > Where is mailcrypt tagged obsolete?

(snip)

I use mailcrypt, for it combines nicely with bbdb, prompting
encryption or signing for certain email addresses. Can PGG do
something similar?

Thx

--
List at least two alternate dates.

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-13  6:34       ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2006-06-13  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> Bastien <> writes:

    >>> Mailcrypt is obsolete.

    >> Someone better tell Ubuntu/debian that then.

    >> I can find no tutorial or easy "howto guide" for PGG.

    >> Where is mailcrypt tagged obsolete?

      > (snip)

      > I use mailcrypt, for it combines nicely with bbdb, prompting
      > encryption or signing for certain email addresses. Can PGG do
      > something similar?

Hm. in bbdb-pgp.el replace (require 'mailcrypt) with (require 'pgg)
and I seem to have done just that.

eh..

:-)
--
List at least two alternate dates.

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-13  6:41         ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2006-06-13  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> I use mailcrypt, for it combines nicely with bbdb, prompting
    >> encryption or signing for certain email addresses. Can PGG do
    >> something similar?

      > Hm. in bbdb-pgp.el replace (require 'mailcrypt) with (require
      > 'pgg) and I seem to have done just that.

      > eh..

Doh! I still had mailcrypt lying around. .. it is not as simple as this.
--
List at least two alternate dates.

* Re: pgg or mailcrypt
@ 2006-06-14  7:22           ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-06-14  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> I use mailcrypt, for it combines nicely with bbdb, prompting
    >> encryption or signing for certain email addresses. Can PGG do
    >> something similar?

Take a modified bbdb-pgp.el which you can get here:
http://groups.google.de/group/de.comm.software.gnus/browse_thread/thread/e8975403f0653a2b/5ac0652235e66ff0?lnk=st&q=bbdb-pgp.el&rnum=2&hl=de#5ac0652235e66ff0

harry