* smtpmail and starttls
@ 2006-07-02 22:58 Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-07-02 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been googling for ages now and am still unable to get gnus talking
to gmail's smtp server. I need to pass off sending of emails to an
external smtp because my dynamic IP gets black listed as a mail source
for the likes of hotmail which doesnt trust non permanent smtp servers.

if anyone has this working from an ubuntu/linus setup I would love to
see your .gnus.el entries and to hear how you got it working.

Google indicates that there are a lot of threads with people having or
had had the same problems.

I just get an SMTP protocol error when I send a mail.

Here is what Ihave and is no different from the solutions offered to
others before.

(And I have installed "starttls").

;; Sending mail
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
"serverid" "pwd")))
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

Let me know what logs you need to see and how to obtain them if you
think you might be able to help.

* Re: smtpmail and starttls
@ 2006-07-03 16:56 ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-07-03 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been googling for ages now and am still unable to get gnus talking
> to gmail's smtp server. I need to pass off sending of emails to an
> external smtp because my dynamic IP gets black listed as a mail source
> for the likes of hotmail which doesnt trust non permanent smtp servers.
>
> if anyone has this working from an ubuntu/linus setup I would love to
> see your .gnus.el entries and to hear how you got it working.
>
> Google indicates that there are a lot of threads with people having or
> had had the same problems.
>
> I just get an SMTP protocol error when I send a mail.
>
> Here is what Ihave and is no different from the solutions offered to
> others before.
>
> (And I have installed "starttls").
>
> ;; Sending mail
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
> "serverid" "pwd")))
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
>

> Let me know what logs you need to see and how to obtain them if you
> think you might be able to help.

Here is the dialog error reports:

250-SIZE 20971520
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first c28sm2374474nfb
221 2.0.0 mx.gmail.com closing connection c28sm2374474nfb

Anyone? This is driving me nuts .

* Re: smtpmail and starttls
@ 2006-07-17 13:31   ` barutanseijin
From: barutanseijin @ 2006-07-17 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark wrote:
> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've been googling for ages now and am still unable to get gnus talking
> > to gmail's smtp server. I need to pass off sending of emails to an
> > external smtp because my dynamic IP gets black listed as a mail source
> > for the likes of hotmail which doesnt trust non permanent smtp servers.

> Here is the dialog error reports:
>
> 250-SIZE 20971520
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first c28sm2374474nfb
> 221 2.0.0 mx.gmail.com closing connection c28sm2374474nfb
>
> Anyone? This is driving me nuts .

I haven't dug into the precise reasons, but I had similar problems on
x86 Slackware.   As you know, Slackware is mostly x86, so when I got a
ppc laptop, I ended up installing gentoo.  The same setup which had not
worked under slackware mysteriously began to work.  As I said, I
haven't dug around too much to pinpoint exactly why, but I'm assuming
that gentoo has something configured properly by default and ubuntu and
slackware require some extra tinkering.  Exactly where I don't know.
Believe it or not, this is the main reason I still use gentoo instead
of Slackintosh.