* unkilling mail?
@ 2006-10-31  9:42 David Chmelik
From: David Chmelik @ 2006-10-31  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I started trying gnus again, and I accidentally killed my nnmbox (after
moving mail in).  Is there a way to get it back; I do not want to suffer
pine or thunderbird!  I reinstalled emacs (on slackware 11), but maybe
there is a config file not in ~/ that I missed; it still thinks mbox is
'dead'.

David Melik

http://www.nwinfo.net/~darwin/

* Re: unkilling mail?
@ 2006-11-01  7:21 ` David Chmelik
From: David Chmelik @ 2006-11-01  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I started trying gnus again, and I accidentally killed my nnmbox (after
> moving mail in).  Is there a way to get it back; I do not want to suffer
> pine or thunderbird!  I reinstalled emacs (on slackware 11), but maybe
> there is a config file not in ~/ that I missed; it still thinks mbox is
> 'dead'.

Never mind, I found out that new mail unkills it.  That is really weird.
  I wish the gnus developers could be reached on efnet; it might be more
helpful. . . my post last year was never answered.

> David Melik

* Re: unkilling mail?
@ 2006-11-01  9:17   ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2006-11-01  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Chmelik <dchmelik@hipplanet.com> writes:

>> I started trying gnus again, and I accidentally killed my nnmbox
>> (after moving mail in).  Is there a way to get it back; I do not
>> want to suffer pine or thunderbird!  I reinstalled emacs (on
>> slackware 11), but maybe there is a config file not in ~/ that I
>> missed; it still thinks mbox is 'dead'.
>
> Never mind, I found out that new mail unkills it.  That is really
> weird.

Why? Isn't it just the system delivering the mail? If you have set up
Gnus to collect from the system mailbox, then when there is mail around
it will do so.

Slack 11?  Are you using sendmail then?

If the system doesn't create a mmbox for you as a user - which it did for
me here on Slack 11 - then as root do

#touch /var/mail/david

and make sure it's permissions are as below

$ls -ld /var/mail/glyn
-rw------- 1 glyn users 0 2006-11-01 08:51 /var/mail/glyn

> I wish the gnus developers could be reached on efnet; it might be more
> helpful. . . my post last year was never answered.

Some are _very_ active here.

atb

Glyn

* Re: unkilling mail?
@ 2006-11-05  3:10     ` dchmelik
From: dchmelik @ 2006-11-05  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Why? Isn't it just the system delivering the mail? If you have set up
> Gnus to collect from the system mailbox, then when there is mail around
> it will do so.
>
> Slack 11?  Are you using sendmail then?

Yes.  Thank you, I will keep the rest in mind for the future.