* newbie for help
@ 2006-10-10 12:58 LUK
From: LUK @ 2006-10-10 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!  Can I watch this "google groups" by using gnus?
I've already searched some articles, but not help.
Can anyone share me a "gnus.el" file that can use directly, or provide
me an article that tell me how to config gnus to watch google groups
step by step.
Thanks a lot!

* Re: newbie for help
@ 2006-10-10 13:46 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2006-10-10 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"LUK" <700MHz@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi!  Can I watch this "google groups" by using gnus?

Yes.  You need to "subscribe" to some usenet NNTP server.

So the questions is what usenet server will you be using?
If your ISP provides a usenet server, it's often named news.YOUR-ISP.com.
If you have a "cheap" ISP like mine who doesn't care to provide usenet,
you will have to locate and use either a free usenet server,
or subscribe to a paid-for usenet server.
You can find lists of usenet servers with Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=free+usenet+server
Finding a good free usenet server which allows you to post articles is hard.
Happily there are paid-for usernet servers that are not expensinve.
For example, http://news.individual.net/ only costs 10 €/year.

The easiest way is to customize the gnus-select-method variable.

M-x customize-variable RET  gnus-select-method RET
Set the Method to nntp
put a news server domain name in the Address field,
and save the changes.

If you opted for a paid-for usenet server, you will probably have to
configure a login.  You can do this by adding a line to the file
~/.authinfo :

   machine mmm login uuu password xxx

where mmm is the same name you configured in the Address field above,
uuu is the login and xxx the password provided to you by your usenet
server.

Then: M-x gnus RET
and:  A A
( = M-x gnus-group-list-active RET ) to see all the newsgroups
that are carried by your news server.

Then you can "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" to newsgroups with: u

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PURCHASERS: The entire physical universe,
including this product, may one day collapse back into an
infinitesimally small space. Should another universe subsequently
re-emerge, the existence of this product in that universe cannot be
guaranteed.

* Re: newbie for help
@ 2006-10-10 15:00   ` LUK
From: LUK @ 2006-10-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you!
I will try

* Re: newbie for help
@ 2006-10-20 20:27   ` Raj Shekhar
From: Raj Shekhar @ 2006-10-20 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> You can find lists of usenet servers with Google:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=free+usenet+server
> Finding a good free usenet server which allows you to post articles is
> hard.

Checkout http://dotsrc.org/usenet/ . It carries quite a lot of groups that
are OSS related and it allows you to post too.

--
raj shekhar
facts: http://rajshekhar.net | opinions: http://rajshekhar.net/blog