From: paul.moore@atosorigin.com (Paul Moore)
Subject: Re: Highlighting in the summary buffer with threads collapsed
Date: 26 Sep 2002 07:36:20 -0700	[thread overview]

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> wrote...
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Paul Moore <gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >
> >> Is it possible to highlight the root of a thread (ie, the only one
> >> visible with the thread collapsed) to show the existence of
> >> high-scoring articles within that thread? I really, really need
> >> something to do this.
> >
> > You can show the thread score in the gnus-summary-line-format.  And
> > you can sort by thread score.
> >
> > Alas, it does not appear to be possible to use thread score in
> > gnus-summary-highlight.  Any takers for implementing this?
>
> Tried this about a year ago but since I had and have the same problem as
> Paul. I didn't succeed due to my limited Lisp knowledge and the IMO by
> far to large and complicated source. (Didn't Larsi say some time ago
> let's split gnus-sum.el?)

Actually, Kai's suggestion of the thread score thingy in
gnus-summary-line-format got me thinking. Looking at how it is
defined, I tried

(setq gnus-summary-highlight
  '(((> (gnus-thread-total-score (and (boundp 'thread) (car thread)))
        3000)
      . italic)))

[Excuse lousy formatting]

It seems to work... (that particular example makes everything with a
cumulative thread score >3000 italic).

But I have to admit, I would have no idea how to generalise or explain
this. Where did the variable "thread" come from? When is it valid? How
can I get something similar form myself to pass to
gnus-thread-total-score, should I wish?

There comes a point where "use the source" as a mantra becomes more a
hindrance than a help. I do wish that some of this sort of thing were
better documented (I'm not enough of a Lisp coder to be able to
understand and document it). Or at least that there were more web
resources - my.gnus.org doesn't seem to get updated very frequently,
and I know of no other significant sites...

Paul.