* Re: Sending mail under a different identity
       [not found] <182bcf76.0306080449.59bdc159@posting.google.com>
@ 2003-06-08 18:24 ` Jesper Harder
       [not found]   ` <182bcf76.0306090253.62faed7f@posting.google.com>
       [not found] ` <n0gsecda.fsf@smtpmail.t-online.de>
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-06-08 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

paul.moore@atosorigin.com (Paul Moore) writes:

> I can set the "from" header, etc, in Gnus, but the message still gets
> sent out with a SMTP "envelope" showing my normal address. I think
> this is because I have user-mail-address set, but I don't know how to
> test this.

If you're using Sendmail:

,----
| `message-sendmail-envelope-from'
|      When `message-sendmail-f-is-evil' is `nil', this specifies the
|      address to use in the SMTP envelope.  If it is `nil', use
|      `user-mail-address'.  If it is the symbol `header', use the `From'
|      header of the message.
`----

I think there's something similar if you're using smtpmail.el.

* Re: Sending mail under a different identity
       [not found]   ` <182bcf76.0306090315.3798f50@posting.google.com>
@ 2003-06-09 11:34     ` lawrence mitchell
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2003-06-09 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Moore wrote:

[...]

> But it still doesn't seem to match what I want to do, which is to have
> a function which prompts me for an "identity", and then sets the
> appropriate values *for the message I'm currently composing*. But
> posting styles apply as the buffer is being set up, so that's too
> early.

Hmmm, I did something similar a while ago.  It allowed you to
specify the name of each value of "gnus-posting-styles" and
then, when composing a message, you could pick one style out by
name.  This didn't quite happen automagically, and it's very
rough and ready.  If you're interested, I should be able to dig
it out and send it to you in a few days.  After I finish this
year's exam schedule on wednesday.

[...]

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

@ 2003-06-09 15:54     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-06-09 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

paul.moore@atosorigin.com (Paul Moore) writes:

> That should do what I want. But what a trek! I'd never have considered
> looking in the "sendmail" group for things to customize for
> "smtpmail". Gnus/Emacs is wonderful, but I've no idea how I'll ever
> get to the point where I can make configuration changes without grep
> and the sources :-(

`M-x apropos' (and `M-x customize-apropos') is your friend.

* Re: Sending mail under a different identity
@ 2003-06-10  5:56       ` Michael R. Wolf
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-06-10  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> paul.moore@atosorigin.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>
>> That should do what I want. But what a trek! I'd never have considered
>> looking in the "sendmail" group for things to customize for
>> "smtpmail". Gnus/Emacs is wonderful, but I've no idea how I'll ever
>> get to the point where I can make configuration changes without grep
>> and the sources :-(
>
> `M-x apropos' (and `M-x customize-apropos') is your friend.

And you are all my friends.  I didn't know about customize-apropos.
Thanks.  I love learning more.

Thanks, friends.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!

* Re: Sending mail under a different identity
@ 2003-06-10 12:19       ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2003-06-10 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<m365nf9rg2.fsf@defun.localdomain>...
> paul.moore@atosorigin.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>
> > That should do what I want. But what a trek! I'd never have considered
> > looking in the "sendmail" group for things to customize for
> > "smtpmail". Gnus/Emacs is wonderful, but I've no idea how I'll ever
> > get to the point where I can make configuration changes without grep
> > and the sources :-(
>
> `M-x apropos' (and `M-x customize-apropos') is your friend.

One thing I find frustrating about apropos is that it doesn't include
information about packages you haven't got loaded. (Obviously!) For
example, C-H a gnus-summary RET in a newly started XEmacs gets
nothing, whereas after M-X load-library RET gnus RET, it gets a load
of stuff.

This can be a real pain when trying to find something you're sure must
be possible, but you don't know where it might be implemented...

But you're right, apropos is wonderful.

Paul.