From: Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se>
Subject: Re: Is BBDB really that bad?
Date: 01 Oct 2002 08:11:13 +0200	[thread overview]

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

> Yes, it would be a more complicated beast, but if Gnus were to adopt
> an ability to break apart the messages and store them in a
> "well-designed" database, lots of nifty searching and archival features
> might be easier to implement (in the long run anyways)

I don't think that using a relational database _ever_ buys you easier
implementation. Sure, it gives you concurrent access at the record-level,
and the indexing you need to handle searches in really large data
volumes.

I think it would help if you described some of the lots of nifty features
instead of handwaving. I know 'select * ..' and grep well enough, and
I most certainly prefer to do much searches with grep since it's matching
is looser. A bit of extra junk is better than not finding what I am looking
for.

For example, this command serches for trace in all mails to Mikael:
        grep trace `grep -l 'To: Mikael' *`

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr