From: Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se>
Subject: Re: Is BBDB really that bad?
Date: 02 Oct 2002 13:40:47 +0200	[thread overview]

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

I have deleted most of your arguments, to get at the crux of the matter.

> a dbms backend, merging would be much simpler and I know I could write
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> alot of what would be needed for the community to merge there
> out-of-sync bbdbs.

I.e. there are lots of people that already know that way, but less
people who have the knowledge to do it in the current way.

This is not an unimportant argument, far from it. In the big picture
things like this have a major effect on the success of a system.

But in a specific case like this it boils down to

a) Somebody who is comfortable with elisp could write this for you.
But then money would have pass the in other direction.

b) You could get comfortable enough in elisp to do it yourself. But
then you would find it easier to do the merging functionality in
elisp! (I bet you a bottle of twelve year old on this)

Anyway, I find elisp hackery a good thing to know.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr