* Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-27 14:09 physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-27 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

hello,
unfortunately i cannot send emails from my four accounts anymore.
it's only a problem from inside emacs / gnus. so i think, there is any
misconfiguration.

how can i check, whats going wrong?

here is the debugger output.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Sending failed: 550 relay not
permitted") signal(error ("Sending failed: 550 relay not permitted"))
  error("Sending failed: %s" "550 relay not permitted")
  smtpmail-send-it()
  message-smtpmail-send-it()
  message-multi-smtp-send-mail()
  message--send-mail-maybe-partially()
  message-send-mail(nil)
  message-send-via-mail(nil)
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit(nil)
  funcall-interactively(message-send-and-exit nil)
  call-interactively(message-send-and-exit nil nil)
  command-execute(message-send-and-exit)

regards
poul

* Re: Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-27 14:47 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-07-27 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

You don't give any detail so it's hard to know what the problem is.
However, one possibility is that you are using gmail and google expects
a form of multi-factor authentication.  There was a long thread in the
emacs help mailing list about this and how to get it working from gnus.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-07-20) on Debian 11.3

* Re: Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-27 14:56 ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-27 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Am Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:09:02 +0200
physiculus <physiculus@googlemail.com> schrieb:
i forgot to mention, that i usually use posting-styles.

(setq gnus-parameters '(
			(".*" ; Matches all groups of
			            messages
                         (posting-style (address "GMail
                         <xxx@googlemail.com>")
                         ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.gmail.com
                         587 xx1@googlemail.com") ) (gcc-self .
			            t) (charset . utf-8) )
                        ("Privat"
                         (posting-style
			              (address "xx2@holnishaus.de")
			              (name "jensprivat")
			              ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp
wpxxx.mailout.server-he.de 25 wpxxx") (body "")
			              )
                         (gcc-self . t)
                         (charset . utf-8)
                         )
                        ("Jens"
                         (posting-style (address "xx3@holnishaus.de")
                         (name "jr") ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp
wpxxx.mailout.server-he.de 25 wpxxx") (body "")
			              )
                         (gcc-self . t)
                         (charset . utf-8)
                         )
                        ("Karl"
                         (posting-style (address "xx4@holnishaus.de")
                         (name "xx4") ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp
wpxxx.mailout.server-he.de 25 wpxxx") (body "")
			              )
                         (gcc-self . t)
                         (charset . utf-8)
                         )
                        ("GMail"
                         (posting-style (address "xx5@googlemail.com")
                         (name "xx5") ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp
smtp.gmail.com 587 xx5@googlemail.com") (body "")
			              )
                         (gcc-self . t)
                         (charset . utf-8)
                         )
))

@ 2022-07-27 21:13   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-07-27 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> (setq gnus-parameters '(
> 			(".*" ; Matches all groups of
> 			            messages
>                          (posting-style (address "GMail
>                          <xxx@googlemail.com>")
>                          ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.gmail.com
>                          587 xx1@googlemail.com") ) (gcc-self .
> 			            t) (charset . utf-8) )
>                         ("Privat"
>                          (posting-style
> 			              (address "xx2@holnishaus.de")
> 			              (name "jensprivat")
> 			              ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp
> wpxxx.mailout.server-he.de 25 wpxxx") (body "")

Do you get the same results when trying to send through
smtp.gmail.com as you do with wpxxx.mailout.server-he.de? That
is to say the 550 relay not permitted?

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-28  8:44     ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-28  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell, info-gnus-english

Am Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:13:43 -1000
Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> schrieb:

> > (setq gnus-parameters '(
> > 			(".*" ; Matches all groups of
> > 			            messages
> >                          (posting-style (address "GMail
> >                          <xxx@googlemail.com>")
> >                          ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp
> > smtp.gmail.com 587 xx1@googlemail.com") ) (gcc-self .
> > 			            t) (charset . utf-8) )
> >                         ("Privat"
> >                          (posting-style
> > 			              (address "xx2@holnishaus.de")
> > 			              (name "jensprivat")
> > 			              ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp
> > wpxxx.mailout.server-he.de 25 wpxxx") (body "")
>
> Do you get the same results when trying to send through
> smtp.gmail.com as you do with wpxxx.mailout.server-he.de? That
> is to say the 550 relay not permitted?

yes i think so.
is it possible to dive deeper into the connection (inside gnus or
inside emacs)?

here is the debug output:

@ 2022-07-28 19:34       ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-07-28 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus; +Cc: info-gnus-english

>> Do you get the same results when trying to send through
>> smtp.gmail.com as you do with wpxxx.mailout.server-he.de? That
>> is to say the 550 relay not permitted?
>>

> yes i think so.
> is it possible to dive deeper into the connection (inside gnus or
> inside emacs)?

Have you tried setting smtp-debug-info to t?

--

@ 2022-07-29 17:39         ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-29 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: physiculus, info-gnus-english

Am Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:34:17 -1000
Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> schrieb:

> >> Do you get the same results when trying to send through
> >> smtp.gmail.com as you do with wpxxx.mailout.server-he.de? That
> >> is to say the 550 relay not permitted?
> >>

> > yes i think so.
> > is it possible to dive deeper into the connection (inside gnus or
> > inside emacs)?
>
> Have you tried setting smtp-debug-info to t?

hello,

yes i have set it, but did not see any difference.
is there any log file?

here are the messages:
smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed: 550 relay not permitted

as usual with the error.

* Re: Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-29 17:49           ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-07-29 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> Am Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:34:17 -1000
> Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> schrieb:

>> Have you tried setting smtp-debug-info to t?

> yes i have set it, but did not see any difference.

Probably because the variable is called smtpmail-debug-info:

,----[ C-h v smtpmail-debug-info RET ]
| smtpmail-debug-info is a variable defined in ‘smtpmail.el’.
|
| Its value is nil
|
| Whether to print info in buffer *trace of SMTP session to <somewhere>*.
| See also ‘smtpmail-debug-verb’ which determines if the SMTP protocol should
| be verbose as well.

`----

So try setting that and look at the resulting trace buffer.

I'm guessing your smtp login is failing, as the mail server is telling
you that you are not allowed to send email through it (relaying).

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Because something is happening here                       Adam Sjøgren
  But you don't know what it is, do you, Mister        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-30 17:55             ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-30 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

ok thanks,

first mistake is, that i do have to require smtpmail.
i never did that, but only after that, i see the variables.

unfortunately i do not understand the report:

220 wpxxx.webpack.hosteurope.de ESMTP Host Europe Mail Service Sat, 30
Jul 2022 19:49:55 +0200 250-wpxxx.webpack.hosteurope.de Hello shinri33
[2a02:8108:1200:24dc:4f7b:d279:b926:29ee] 250-SIZE 52428800
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
220 TLS go ahead
250-wpxxx.webpack.hosteurope.de Hello shinri33
[2a02:8108:1200:24dc:4f7b:d279:b926:29ee] 250-SIZE 52428800
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250 HELP
MAIL FROM:<xx.yy@holnishaus.de> SIZE=301
250 OK
RCPT TO:<zz@holnishaus.de>
550 relay not permitted
QUIT
221 wpxxx.webpack.hosteurope.de closing connection

Process smtpmail deleted

@ 2022-07-30 18:50               ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-07-30 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> unfortunately i do not understand the report:

[...]

> MAIL FROM:<xx.yy@holnishaus.de> SIZE=301
> 250 OK
> RCPT TO:<zz@holnishaus.de>
> 550 relay not permitted

So the mail server, wpxxx.webpack.hosteurope.de, is saying that you're
not allowed to send email to that address, zz@holnishaus.de, through it
- nothing new in that, that's the message that you got all along.

One thing that might change the servers opinion is if you log in.

I think that is usually done by adding a password in ~/.authinfo.gpg -
i.e. adding a line like:

    machine smtp.gmail.com login asjgrn@gmail.com password MyGPassword

(switch out the smtp-server hostname, login, and password).

Does sending email to that address through that mail server work in
other clients?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "The problem is, you see everything in terms of            Adam Sjøgren
  black and white" "SOMETIMES THAT'S THE WAY THINGS    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-30 19:05                 ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-30 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

yes sending and receiving inside clawsmail works great.
only in emacs sending is not possible.
gmail and my other adresses.
very strange.
any ideas to investigate further?

Am Sat, 30 Jul 2022 20:50:17 +0200

@ 2022-07-30 19:55                   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-07-30 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> yes sending and receiving inside clawsmail works great.

Do you have username and password configured in clawsmail for the
outgoing (smtp) mail servers?

> any ideas to investigate further?

I think most mail servers wants you to log in these days, so the curious
thing is that it has worked before.

Did you try the suggestion in the previous email?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I have nothing to offer anybody                           Adam Sjøgren
  Except my own confusion"                             asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-30 20:05                     ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-30 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Am Sat, 30 Jul 2022 21:55:42 +0200
Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> schrieb:

> physiculus writes:
>
> > yes sending and receiving inside clawsmail works great.
>
> Do you have username and password configured in clawsmail for the
> outgoing (smtp) mail servers?
yes it is configured inside clawsmail.

> > any ideas to investigate further?
>
> I think most mail servers wants you to log in these days, so the
> curious thing is that it has worked before.
>
> Did you try the suggestion in the previous email?

yes i did. my authinfo.gpg looks like this.
but i do not know, if gnus/smtpmail reads the data from this file.
is it possible to log deeper if sending mail?

@ 2022-07-30 20:18                       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-07-30 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

>> Do you have username and password configured in clawsmail for the
>> outgoing (smtp) mail servers?

> yes it is configured inside clawsmail.

Ok, so that's at least a difference between "working client" and
"non-working client".

> but i do not know, if gnus/smtpmail reads the data from this file.
> is it possible to log deeper if sending mail?

I would expect the smtp trace buffer to have lines about logging in
(AUTH) if it is.

Does what you have put after "machine" in authinfo match what you have
in your posting styles as the smtp servers?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Du har ingenting at sige                                  Adam Sjøgren
  Og det siger du så,                                  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-31  7:32                         ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-31  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Am Sat, 30 Jul 2022 22:18:39 +0200
Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> schrieb:

> physiculus writes:
>
> >> Do you have username and password configured in clawsmail for the
> >> outgoing (smtp) mail servers?
>
> > yes it is configured inside clawsmail.
>
> Ok, so that's at least a difference between "working client" and
> "non-working client".
>
> > but i do not know, if gnus/smtpmail reads the data from this file.
> > is it possible to log deeper if sending mail?
>
> I would expect the smtp trace buffer to have lines about logging in
> (AUTH) if it is.

hello again,
i just try it again with my gmail account.
but for me, nothing that i understand why it does not work.
here is the trace:
220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP
o21-20020a170906775500b0072f9dc2c246sm3720562ejn.133 - gsmtp
250-smtp.gmail.com at your service,
[2a02:8108:1200:24dc:4f7b:d279:b926:29ee] 250-SIZE 35882577 250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-CHUNKING
250 SMTPUTF8
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
250-smtp.gmail.com at your service,
[2a02:8108:1200:24dc:4f7b:d279:b926:29ee] 250-SIZE 35882577
250-8BITMIME
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH2 PLAIN-CLIENTTOKEN OAUTHBEARER XOAUTH
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-CHUNKING
250 SMTPUTF8
MAIL FROM:<xxx@googlemail.com> SIZE=308
530-5.7.0 Authentication Required. Learn more at
530 5.7.0  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=WantAuthError
o21-20020a170906775500b0072f9dc2c246sm3720562ejn.133 - gsmtp QUIT
221 2.0.0 closing connection
o21-20020a170906775500b0072f9dc2c246sm3720562ejn.133 - gsmtp

Process smtpmail deleted

the mail adress is the same as in my authinfo.gpg file.
could you see, which step brings the error?
or is it possible to deeper log the connection?

@ 2022-07-31  9:35                           ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-07-31  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
> 250-smtp.gmail.com at your service,
> [2a02:8108:1200:24dc:4f7b:d279:b926:29ee] 250-SIZE 35882577
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH2 PLAIN-CLIENTTOKEN OAUTHBEARER XOAUTH
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-CHUNKING
> 250 SMTPUTF8
> MAIL FROM:<xxx@googlemail.com> SIZE=308
> 530-5.7.0 Authentication Required. Learn more at
> 530 5.7.0  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=WantAuthError
> o21-20020a170906775500b0072f9dc2c246sm3720562ejn.133 - gsmtp QUIT
> 221 2.0.0 closing connection
> o21-20020a170906775500b0072f9dc2c246sm3720562ejn.133 - gsmtp

> could you see, which step brings the error?

The mail server explicitly tells you that you need to log in, and Gnus
doesn't, it forges ahead with "MAIL FROM".

> the mail adress is the same as in my authinfo.gpg file.

And the "machine" in authinfo.gpg matches the mail server's name?

And your ~/.authinfo.gpg is encrypted with GPG? What does "file
~/.authinfo.gpg" say?

> or is it possible to deeper log the connection?

There is nothing more being exchanged between Gnus and the mail server
than what you see in the trace.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "My ethicator machine must've had a built-in moral         Adam Sjøgren
  compromise spectral release phantasmatron!"          asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Need help; cannot send email in gnus and emacs anymore; 550 relay not permitted
@ 2022-07-31 17:18                             ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-31 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Am Sun, 31 Jul 2022 11:35:56 +0200
Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> schrieb:

> physiculus writes:
>
> > 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
> > 250-smtp.gmail.com at your service,
> > [2a02:8108:1200:24dc:4f7b:d279:b926:29ee] 250-SIZE 35882577
> > 250-8BITMIME
> > 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH2 PLAIN-CLIENTTOKEN OAUTHBEARER XOAUTH
> > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> > 250-PIPELINING
> > 250-CHUNKING
> > 250 SMTPUTF8
> > MAIL FROM:<xxx@googlemail.com> SIZE=308
> > 530-5.7.0 Authentication Required. Learn more at
> > 530 5.7.0  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=WantAuthError
> > o21-20020a170906775500b0072f9dc2c246sm3720562ejn.133 - gsmtp QUIT
> > 221 2.0.0 closing connection
> > o21-20020a170906775500b0072f9dc2c246sm3720562ejn.133 - gsmtp
>
> > could you see, which step brings the error?
>
> The mail server explicitly tells you that you need to log in, and Gnus
> doesn't, it forges ahead with "MAIL FROM".
>
> > the mail adress is the same as in my authinfo.gpg file.
>
> And the "machine" in authinfo.gpg matches the mail server's name?

yes i think so.

> And your ~/.authinfo.gpg is encrypted with GPG? What does "file
> ~/.authinfo.gpg" say?

this is the result:
/home/held/.authinfo.gpg: PGP RSA encrypted session key - keyid:
789E94A4 41B3A6B3 RSA (Encrypt or Sign) 2048b

is it correct?

@ 2022-07-31 17:49                             ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2022-07-31 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Am Sun, 31 Jul 2022 11:35:56 +0200
Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> schrieb:
Wonderful!
it works.
i found the solution.
inside the authinfo.gpg file there is a line
#default force yes
after comment out, it works.

i don't knwo what it means and how it comes inside the file.
anyway it works

thank you for you patience.

@ 2022-07-31 21:09                               ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-07-31 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> inside the authinfo.gpg file there is a line
> #default force yes
> after comment out, it works.

Happy to hear you found a solution.

  Cheers,

    Adam

--
 "I'm sorry I sound calm. I assure you that                 Adam Sjøgren
  I am hysterical."                                    asjo@koldfront.dk