From: ronaldf@eml.cc (Ronald Fischer)
Subject: Re: Gnus can not connect to server
Date: 27 Jul 2002 07:18:47 -0700	[thread overview]

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann wrote in message news:<vafit32n2x9.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>...
> ronaldf@eml.cc (Ronald Fischer) writes:
>
> > There is no *Server* buffer at all!!!!
>
> From the *Group* buffer, hit `^' to go to the *Server* buffer.

I see. This works.

The server then (i.e. when Gnus went to the "dead" state as described
previously in the thread) looks like this:

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nndraft:} (opened)
     {nntp:news.space.net} (opened)

This means, that the news server is not in "denied" state.
Nevertheless,
it can't re-connect from Gnus (though it can easily from, say,
Netscape Messenger).

Further, even if I manually establish a connection (by, say, running
'ping' from an xterm), Gnus stays stuck (in my original posting, I
had erroneously written that in this case, Gnus would continue to work
properly - but this was either pure luck, or a misobservation).

Could it be that Gnus, when it starts, stores some information about
the server, which it assumes to be constant during the whole session?
And if my router disconnects, and reconnects later, some parameters
changed (for example, the IP address assigned to me is likely to be
different on every dial in, because I don't have an ISP who would
provide me with a fixed IP address). Any other
things I could ty to track down that nasty problem?

Ronald