From: Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se>
To: rameiko87@posteo.net
Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Have message-ID set by my email server rather than by Message
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:05:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi rameiko87!

I know more about message standards then I know about the internals of
GNUS. That's why I come from that angle.

I'm beginning to understand your undelying problem, though, and I
realise it's a generic one that more people "ought to have". Am I right
in understanding it as "my host doesn't know its own hostname
(identity), so it's unable to create a useful Message-ID"?

If I "zoom out" and try to rephrase your problem as a generic question,
I come up with this:

"Which entity (i.e., which device) should be responsible for adding the
Message-ID header to a message composed on a device which has little or
no notion of its own host identity, and in those cases what should the
Message-ID be?"

Is that in line with the problem that you're having?

I happen to know the author of the mail specification RFC, and I'm
thinking about asking him for his thoughts. Would you object to that?

In the meantime, I'll provide this link in the hope that you can find
grains of help in this section of the mail message standard. The full
answer is not in there, but maybe you can make a better informed
decision of what to do if you read that.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5322#section-3.6.4

				Best regards,
				  /Liman

rameiko87@posteo.net 2023-12-09 14:16 [+0000]: