From: Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se>
To: physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com>
Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:52:30 +0100	[thread overview]

physiculus@gmail.com 2021-01-19 10:43 [+0100]:
> Hihi, "besserwisser" this is a german word. Is it merged into the
> english language?

LOL! So much for me trying to avoid sounding like a "better-knower"!!
What a disgraceful defeat! :-) :-) There is simply no way out of this
for me, is there? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:
>> (At the risk of being a besserwisser ... apologies in advance.)
>>
>> Could your problem stem from what I have been told and believe to be
>> true, that Gmail doesn't have the concept of "mailboxes" or "folders"?
>>
>> AFAIK, your mail in Gmail is just one big pool off messages, to which
>> Gmail assigns tags. It will tag the messages that you consider to be in
>> your folder "inbox" with the tag "inbox", and the ones in your folder
>> "work" with the tag "work".
>>
>> When you access your mail using IMAP (which, as a protocol, relies on
>> the concept of mail folders) and you ask to have your "work" folder
>> listed, it will filter out the messages with the tag "work" and show
>> them to you, but they are still in the big pool.
>>
>> So, to Gmail, a "folder" is just "a filtered view of the pool, according
>> to some combination of tags".
>>
>> With this as background, is your problem possible to explain?

> Thank you, this is explained enough for me.
> BUT
> my main problem is not solved with it.
> As far as i understand, move a message in gnus into my local folders not
> reachable in imap, have to delete this message in gmail All mail?
> Am i right?
> If not, perhaps i have to use another command, or another split rule, or
> anything advanced?

> Any idea?

Sorry. Can't help you there. I haven't dealt with that problem myself,
as I never "sync" with Gmail. I only download. It's a one-way
transaction for me.

I never delete anything in Gmail (at least not through IMAP) and I don't
care what Gmail has in store. The only thing I ever do over IMAP is to
download new mail. (To me it might as well have been a POP3 server -
which would have made some things easier ...) _EVERYTHING_ else I do on
my local machine. Yes, that means that I cannot view my folders using
Gmail's web interface nor from any other IMAP client, but I don't care.
I have it on my local machine, and that's where I deal with e-mail.

This said, I would _like_ to delete the mail I have downloaded, but I've
given up on that. It seems as Gmail doesn't follow the semantics of the
IMAP protocol. I use ':fetchflag "\\Deleted"' for all my various mail
sources, and that deletes the downloaded mail from the IMAP server in
every case ... except Gmail. I have spent too many hours trying to
figure out how to do it, but Google has alarms on your account, so if
you to "too many weird things" in a given time span, you're account is
locked for some time. So I gave up. It's not my personal mail, and my
employer has a different view on content security than I have, so I let
Google just hang on to my mail. They will delete it after 2(?) years if
I dont touch it, I think. Fine.

I understand that this is not everybody's cup of tea, and that YMMV. I'm
just describing how I live with the situation, to offer an alternative.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman